Filtration?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcmobrewer

Reaction score
Just curious who here filters there homebrew and who feels strongly enough about it that they don't, and why for both.

Trying to decide whether or not I wan't to give it a shot. I kinda like just leaving it alone and having the natural product as is. However, making it look nicer and condition faster sounds really appealing as well.

brew more beer, let it sit longer and it will seem "faster" after a while. i bought a filtration system then gave it to my neighbor who also brews, "you go first" i told him. a year or more later i don't think he's taken it out of the box.

I don't. I have thought about the idea of filtering but I can't get past the fact that it adds more effort to the process; besides, it doesn't make the beer taste better - in fact, it has the potential to cause the reverse. Sometimes I think I'd like my beer a little clearer and then I pour a commercial craft brew and it's hazier/cloudier than mine. If I want really clear beer then I'll lager it for a few/several weeks prior to serving and hope for the best. Gelatin works reasonably well and it doesn't take much extra effort. Just my opinion of course.

I do filter occasionally, don't feel strongly about it. For me depends on the style, the audience I'm brewing for, and wether I'm in the mood. Filtering def. create clearer faster conditioning beer.....but then I have two clean two kegs instead on one ( the sending and receiving keg) as well as the filter and lines....which makes it kind of a pain. I just filtered the fresh cascade(from my garden) SMaSH I did for a big family gathering, and got rave reviews. Some guys I know feel it's sacrilegious to filter.

Thanks for the responses :). Yeah I think I have just decided to leave it as is. The extra step would just complicate things, and it tastes good as is, plus it clears with cold conditioning eventually anyway. Thanks!

Back