Filtering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmakep

Reaction score
After I boil do I pour the wort through the filter that goes into my funnel or do I just pour it all into my carboy. Someone told me not to use the filter because I would filter out some of the sugar for fermentation and other stuff I want for the primary

After I boil do I pour the wort through the filter that goes into my funnel or do I just pour it all into my carboy. Someone told me not to use the filter because I would filter out some of the sugar for fermentation and other stuff I want for the primary

Filter or not, it likely matters not a jot to the beer. One is slightly more work than the other approach. Some filter, others do not.

You will not filter out sugar which is entirely disolved in the wort. Don't give that idea another moments thought.

Ever add sugar to your coffee. Not so easy to get it out again after a good stir.

• Wort goes into fermentor +/- filtering through a screen if you want.
  • Ferment till it's done.
  • Package the beer.

Someone is dumb. There is no gravity difference between filtered and unfiltered wort.

Here... This is what someone else said on the subject.

I didn't use to filter. Everything that was in the boil kettle went into the fermentation bucket.

Now that I use a 3 tank setup I use a hop stopper to filter out the larger particles. You can use a filter to collect the larger hop and protein particles but anything will eventually settle down in the trub. If you decide to use a filter make sure you do not, I repeat do not use a carbon filter. Only use a cloth like filter.

I have never filtered, I simply cold crash and it gives me pretty clear beers with almost no extra work.

First, you cannot/will not filter the sugar out of the wort using a screen in a funnel. Yes, it will filter out hops and trub, but not sugar. Second, those screens are notorious for clogging up particularly if you use a lot of hops. Third, dumping all the trub and hops into the fermenter will not adversely affect your beer. See http://brulosophy.com/2015/03/22/the-impact-of-kettle-trub-part-2-exbeeriment-results/

Bottom line, I would not use the filter,but for other reasons.

I prefer to siphon off my kettle after I cool it and leave a lot of the hops and break material behind. I used to dump it all in and the beer came out fine. Filters that remove sugar, that's funny;)

Back