filtering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can but it can take a while and most say you can't tell the difference. I never do. If it's in the boil it gets moved to the fermenter. It will eventually settle to the bottom and you can cold crash for 3-5 days and everything else that is suspended will drop to the bottom as well.

Cool. I havent filtered going into the filter yet but my cousin did and I think it changed the final product more than it should have.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

i just have a strainer that i run my wort through as it goes into the primary. only takes out the big stuff, but that is less crap on the bottom later and if you want to wash your yeast it makes it a lil bit easier. But like Rockn said if you just cold crash for a while it will fall out.

I don't "filter", per se, but I do employ some screen mechanisms to at least make a token effort at reducing trub that makes it into the fermenter. I use a hop screen (tall, cylindrical stainless steel mesh) to contain my pellet hops during the boil, and I use a Hop Stopper (pickup tube enshrouded in a frisbee-shaped pouch of stainless steel mesh) on my kettle outlet valve to try and prevent break material from escaping out the kettle valve.

There are plenty of studies that show that you actually get better yeast health when the break material is in primary. You can also get great clarity without ever filtering.

All I do to get great clarity is:

1) Filter hops (I wouldn't even do this if I didn't have a plate chiller)
2) One whirlfloc tablet with 10 minutes left in the boil
3) CAREFUL transfer from primary to keg/bottle, making sure to leave all of the trub
4) For a keg, cold crash for 3-4 days at fridge temps before serving/for bottles, 3 weeks carb to ensure a compact sediment layer

Those steps will accomplish much better clarity than filtering wort.

I pour through a mesh bag into the carboy. The bag is also sitting in a strainer. Removes the larger debris to make harvesting yeast easier.

Three weeks of primary time can clear the beer sufficiently to eliminate the need for cold crashing with many brews. I use the longer primary time because I don't have a cooler to cold crash in.

Back