Filtering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm planning on filtering my current batch. To do it, I bought a cheap coffee screen filter ($2 at Target) to run the worth through prior to bottling. I just want the trub and big chunks of yeast out.

Emian said:
Does anyone here filter? What do you use and how do you do it?

Ian
I filter one beer through something like this filter housing and a one micron filter. But that's only when I'm donating the beer for event distribution. It's a 6-day beer and can be a bit too cloudy for some people to drink. If you do plan on getting a similar filter, go to a Home Depot or the like because of prices.

Wild

If you are serious about filtering, it's not as easy as it looks. I would not recommend the water type filters from Home Depot. Get a plate filter like the one here:

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/AB1605000/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=485977&St=1284&St2=-86543688&St3=-30174637&DS_ID=2&Product_ID=468&DID=7

The process is also time consuming and very dependant on your attention to detail in the areas of sanitation and minimizing oxidation. If done correctly, the results are outstanding, if not done correctly, you can take a perfectly good beer and turn it into pond water.

I don't filter because I'm lazy, however, a good friend of mine swears by it and filters everything he brews. It's taken him quite a while to perfect the process, but now that he's got the hang of it, his results are quite impressive. His latest effort took gold at the National Homebrew Conference in Baltimore in the British Ale category.

Personally, I don't think it's necessary, but it can be done on a homebrew scale. If you take shortcuts with equipment or processes, I think you will be dissappointed.

Prosit!

Latest posts

Back