Quantcast

filtering

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

killian

Reaction score

cdburg

Reaction score
The main argument I've seen for using plate filters over cartridge filters is the price of the filters themselves. Most brewers I've heard use the filters for plate filters only once (or at least one filter per batch if it's a 10 gallon batch). I think that the filters for plate filters are a bit cheaper.

I don't know if the cartridge filters are able to be reused. If you can only get one use out of the cartridge filters, it could be pretty costly. If you get a few out of one, it might be a little better.

That said, I do use a cartridge filter with a carbon block insert for my water. It works nicely.

Reaction score
I have answered this question too many times to try and regurgitate it all again here. :)

Use cartridge filters.
Make sure it's an ABSOLUTE rating.
Soak in oxyclean, back flush HOT.
1 micron will remove all yeast. .5 or .3 will usually remove chill haze if filtered COLD. .5 or .3 may strip a bit of hops flavor.

I use a 1u and a .3 inline with each other( was supposed to be a .5 but wrong one shipped).

I have been using that .3 for 4 years. I bought the 1u form Beer and Wine Filter (Tell Bob, Denny from Kelowna sent you).