Filtering Wort Into Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas_Flood

Reaction score
I'm going to make another batch of my imperial IPA and was wondering how to get rid of the kettle trub in the primary. Normally I put a coarse mesh bag over a double mesh strainer and call it a day. Also getting rid of the hot/cold break material might be nice. Naturally I was thinking of doubling up on a fine course bag and letting it drip but that's prolonging time for infection.

I started to remember my courses in school (science in particular) and a method of vacuum filtration. More specifically the buchner vacuum method. I thought it might be advantageous since so much wort is lost to hop absorption and if the vacuum could dry crystals why not hops? If I remember correctly from school it will also do a nice job of aerating the wort as well. Obviously I won't be filtering through a 1 or .5 micron filter like keg filtering. Just enough to clear up the boil trub. I will be trying it out in a week or two.

Thoughts?

May I ask why you want to strip everything prior to fermentation?

None of it will impact the taste of your beer. I can tell you that I have yet to see anyone, including commercial breweries, filter their beer prior to fermentation. It is already sterile, so it isn't going to infect your beer. You can whirl pool your kettle and pull the clear beer from the side of your kettle or you could use a grant and whirl pool there.

It's futile and unnecessary to try and remove ALL if the trub going into the fermentor,
It's been proven again and again that pouring all of the wort including trub makes no difference in flavor.
Don't get me wrong... I like clear beer, but it's much easier to clear the beer post fermentation by cold crashing, gelatin, finings, etc. than to fight with it pre-fermentation.

I'm not trying to filter out EVERYTHING. I stated that in my original post. Just enough to clear it up a little as opposed. Taking the time to whirlpool the beer and spend money on clarifying agents. If I can do that before the primary quickly I don't see the issue. Maybe I explained it in a way that is being taken as difficult. Because I never said anything about taste. I'm not sure why that was even brought up. Or that I'm trying to remove ALL the kettle trub.

Perhaps it'll be easier to do it first and then explain it.

I think it's worth mentioning the original purpose was to filter into keg without using co2. Less trips with as busy as I am is always nice.

I'm going to make another batch of my imperial IPA and was wondering how to get rid of the kettle trub in the primary.

I'm not trying to filter out EVERYTHING. I stated that in my original post. Just enough to clear it up a little as opposed.

The first line of your original post stated that you wanted to get rid of the kettle trub. Pretty easy to see where everyone asked why you are trying to remove it. With proper fermentation temperature the trub should all pack nicely in the bottom of your fermentation vessel, racking it from there just takes a little patience and observation to keep it from going into either a keg or a bottling bucket. You don't *need* fining agents or to whirlpool. Those are simple ways to get the clearest beer possible. Some one posted a link to Brulosophy's exbeeriment, I did the same thing a couple of years ago. 11 gallon batch split between 2 buckets, one got no kettle trub and the other got all of it. Both tasted the same, both were bright and clear. No one could tell me which was which, so again, I ask, 'Why are you looking to strip the kettle trub out?' It really isn't going to make your beer clearer or taste any different. :mug:

I'm going to make another batch of my imperial IPA and was wondering how to get rid of the kettle trub in the primary. Normally I put a coarse mesh bag over a double mesh strainer and call it a day. Also getting rid of the hot/cold break material might be nice. Naturally I was thinking of doubling up on a fine course bag and letting it drip but that's prolonging time for infection.

I think it's worth mentioning the original purpose was to filter into keg without using co2. Less trips with as busy as I am is always nice.

This may be where things are getting confused. Your original post asked about kettle trub into primary, not primary to keg. Two very different issues. For fermenter to keg after a huge dry hop, I use a sterilized nylon stocking clipped to the hose coming off my racking cane or from the racking port of my conical. This will catch 95% of the hop matter from going into the keg. This will help keep beer as clear as possible in the keg. :tank:

If fermenter space is limited then reducing trub might well be a good idea. You'll get a few extra bottles from that trub space without increasing your volumes before then (I usually aim for an extra litre in my big IPAs).
You can use a paint strainer, or you can let the trub settle for a while before racking to the carboy.

The first line of your original post stated that you wanted to get rid of the kettle trub. Pretty easy to see where everyone asked why you are trying to remove it. With proper fermentation temperature the trub should all pack nicely in the bottom of your fermentation vessel, racking it from there just takes a little patience and observation to keep it from going into either a keg or a bottling bucket. You don't *need* fining agents or to whirlpool. Those are simple ways to get the clearest beer possible. Some one posted a link to Brulosophy's exbeeriment, I did the same thing a couple of years ago. 11 gallon batch split between 2 buckets, one got no kettle trub and the other got all of it. Both tasted the same, both were bright and clear. No one could tell me which was which, so again, I ask, 'Why are you looking to strip the kettle trub out?' It really isn't going to make your beer clearer or taste any different. :mug:

Yes read it again... Fully

Obviously I won't be filtering through a 1 or .5 micron filter like keg filtering. Just enough to clear up the boil tub.

Yes getting more beer would also be great. Cold crashing is great for compacting but I'm also trying to reduce that as well.

I started to remember my courses in school (science in particular) and a method of vacuum filtration. More specifically the buchner vacuum method. I thought it might be advantageous since so much wort is lost to hop absorption and if the vacuum could dry crystals why not hops? If I remember correctly from school it will also do a nice job of aerating the wort as well. Obviously I won't be filtering through a 1 or .5 micron filter like keg filtering. Just enough to clear up the boil trub. I will be trying it out in a week or two.

Thoughts?

Yes read it again... Fully

Yes getting more beer would also be great. Cold crashing is great for compacting but I'm also trying to reduce that as well.

I did read your original post completely twice before I replied. I read it again after you got defensive about the responses you got. I've quoted your original post entirely. There is no point at which you state going into a keg. You emphatically state kettle trub in the primary.

You were given several different options and you decided to get defensive because you didn't like the answers. If you were asking about trub and yeast from primary to keg, that is different than asking about kettle trub to primary. I gave you options for your original post and a new option after you changed your question from kettle trub to primary to primary to keg.

Good luck with how ever you take it from here, but I would suggest that you re-read *your* original post as if someone else were asking it. If you leave out parts of your question, no one here is a mind reader (at least none that I've met) and cannot give you an answer to a partially asked question.

Cheers! :mug:

I'm not sure why you think I'm getting defensive. It's beneath me to get defensive on the internet. I mentioned the keg because, as I said in a later post, that the original idea was filtering beer without using co2 to push it through. I just figured why wouldn't it work to help with ipa's.

I can understand the questioning because I see what most are saying. 95% of home breed suck because people try to do too much. However, I think people are thinking too much into it. Plus people think I'm getting defensive so I think it's best I just show what I'm trying to do.

Aside from using a spider to keep the hops out of my PC, I don't sweat the trub.
I bet every picture I've ever taken of a freshly pitched carboy has an inch of trub right there for all to see, but nobody's ever complained about off notes in my beer...

Cheers! :mug:

I wrap all my hop and spice additions in cheesecloth. I filter my wort after knock-out through cheesecloth into the fermenter. On top of that I use whirlfloc in all my brews and I get crystal clear beer without cold crashing.

Back