filtering with a pump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TipsySaint

Reaction score
I often filter my beers through a series of 3 house water filters and I use CO2 to force it through. I was wondering if it would be possible to use a pump and push it through the system.

Something like:

1. sanitize pump, tubing and filters
2. connect pump to keg dip tube on in and filters on out
3. connect CO2 to keg and force beer into pump.
4. turn off pump and push beer through filter.

would the pump oxidize the beer?

is the dip tube a big enough diameter to work with a chugger pump?

Should I maybe rack to my BK and pull from the BK and push to keg?

would the pump oxidize the beer?

Only if you allow air to enter the equation.

is the dip tube a big enough diameter to work with a chugger pump?

That 1/4" dip tube has 1/4 the cross section area of the chugger's 1/2" input port (assuming the in-line model; the math gets worse with the 3/4" center inlet). I expect you'll have the throttle the pump output way the heck down to keep the pump from stalling.

Should I maybe rack to my BK and pull from the BK and push to keg?

So rack the beer out of a keg into a BK - and then "push" - how? (I don't think you can call using a pump as "pushing").

Anyway, don't do that. It's an aeration bomb waiting to happen.
In fact, the whole filtering thing is of questionable value, imnsfho.
If you're hung up on the "clear beer" thing but don't have the patience to let it just happen with a couple weeks of cold conditioning, use pulverized horse hooves...

Cheers!

[edit] There's this thing called "protein shear" with the theorized resulting head retention reduction that is one of the reasons why some folks do not subscribe to the "shake 'n' bake" style of carbonating kegs. If that theory holds water, then it seems entirely likely that sending finished beer through a centrifugal pump in a near-stalled state is going to chop the crap out of those same proteins, resulting in a pour without legs. Just theory, mind you, but perhaps something to consider...

So I'm not hung up on clear beer, but SWMBO is minorly reactive to yeast...So (and I now it's controversial) I strip it out of some of my beers so she can drink them. The rest I cold crash, fine (if needed) and keg....

As far as pushing, I would let the beer gravity feed from BK to pump and then turn on pump to draw from keg and push into filter set, with receiving keg on the other end....

first you can do what ever you want :) but from what i'm reading its possible to get oxidation doing it that way so if its done fast and you purge like crazy in the final keg it might work but again don't recommend it

http://www.brewershardware.com/FILTER1.html

I have one of these and it works after the pump and before the plate chiller and does work with a screen

it's the yeast i'm trying to get out with the filters. I have a screen in my BK for the trub. Just trying to be cheap and avoid using CO2 to push through the filter system.... Sounds like even if I got it to go through i'd then blow my CO2 on purging....bummer

Ive figured that out :) first don't eat sugar .... "what" .... yes sugar makes yest ferment in your intestine so drinking yeast and putting sugar in your coffee baaaadd gas idea lol

started using a secondary keg after fermentation to chill at 40 and drop yeast down to the bottom and after 5 days use the auto-siphon at an angle from the keg side without going in the center to finished keg, then you get the yest out

of course the longer the wait the better

Back