Filtering wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a bunch of 5 micron, which will get the yeast cells mostly. I might grab some 1 micron though.

I'm going to make a sweet white wine (Moscato). It's a suss-reserve (it has an incl f-pack), with sugars added after the sorbate is added. So, that should leave the FG fairly high. I wonder if I should filter first, then add the sorbate and fpack, just to ease the filtering. I might just leave it in the keg after filtering since I'm going to carbonate this wine.

You will want 0.45um (aka EK) pad filters to make a sweet wine. The 5um filter will not remove yeast since they range from 1-3um in size. The 1um filter pads will remove most (but not all of the yeast), while the 0.45um "sterile" pad will remove all the yeast and even bacteria. Be sure to sweeten and sorbate (200ppm legal limit but may want to go to 250 for non-commericial batches) before you filter. That way your wine should have nothing in it that can grow when you are done.

Cheers!

You will want 0.45um (aka EK) pad filters to make a sweet wine. The 5um filter will not remove yeast since they range from 1-3um in size. The 1um filter pads will remove most (but not all of the yeast), while the 0.45um "sterile" pad will remove all the yeast and even bacteria. Be sure to sweeten and sorbate (200ppm legal limit but may want to go to 250 for non-commericial batches) before you filter. That way your wine should have nothing in it that can grow when you are done.

Cheers!

OK, got it - thanks. Looks like Northern Brewer and Morebeer carry them (they are referred to as Polish or Sterile or GF5 - I think they are all (0.4-0.6um). I'll push the product through the course 5um first, them the finer filter.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/gf5-sterile-filter-pad
https://www.morebeer.com/products/beer-wine-filter-pad-polish-pack.html

Cheers!

BTW, I was wondering if I should sweeten before or after filtering. Thanks for that!

So I did sweeten my wine, then cold crashed for a couple of weeks, then filtered through the course and fine/sterile. It's crystal clear. Perfect.

Been carbonating for a couple of weeks at 50psi. Will be bottling in a couple more.

Oh yea, I did NOT go with the pink moscato. I ended up using the std moscato. It's a very slight yellow color in the glass.

Back