Filtering the beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrDick

Reaction score
I made a recipe that called for cascade hop pellets. Of course they dissolved when I was making the wort. Should I try filtering a lot of the clumps of hops after fermentation and before bottling? or do I run the risk of also filtering much of the yeast so I will have a flat beer when bottled?

Thanks for any input

I wouldn't bother filtering your beer. The hops should have settled on the bottom along with the majority of the yeast. You should have more than enough yeast in suspension for bottling.

Thanks,
I just bottled my first batch and when siphoning from fermentation bucket to bottling bucket a significant amount of hops were siphoned with the beer although much was settled to the bottom. Is this normal?

It's normal. next time try to keep the siphon further away from the bottom. If you are moving your fermenter before you transferring, let it sit a few hours before you transfer your beer out of it. Even then, you should have nothing to worry about. When I brew my pale ales or IPAs, I always dry hop, and no matter what I tend to get hops in my beers. I keg and usually the first few pints will have hop floaters in them. They are normal and won't hurt anything.

Back