Filtering: plate or canister

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which filter do you use?

• Plate

• Canister

Results are only viewable after voting.
Like beerthirty, cold crashing and proper aging does it for me.

I keg, though, which makes it easier to do the bulk aging. The biggest issue with cloudy beer (for me) is not allowing it to age enough.

I've got a plate filter, used it once and it hasn't seen the light of day since. All the extra effort and lost beer don't make it worth it. A long primary with a good cold crash at the end usually does the trick.

If I want to make a beer really clear I'll just use gelatin finings for a few days before I keg IMO it's much easier.

I have a canister filter, but I've only used it three times, I think.

Longer times in the fermenter and bulk aging in kegs at 35 deg. F. have pretty much replaced filtering for me.

-Steve

I have a canister filter, but use it as a randall more often. Can't do that with a plate filter.

+1 for cold crash and time.

I agree with everyone that has said let it sit. I can make very clean clear beer right now. Problem is storage space. With another competition coming up for me, and the kegerator full I have run out of cold storage. What I was hoping to do was, cold crash, filter, carb, counter pressure fill, and bottle. So just looking for feed back on the two types of readily available filters out there. Easiest to keep clean and sanitized, Least amount of lost product, easy to use, that sort of thing. One of these days Ill have a basement, or a garage that will hold a 20 cf chest freezer and the problem will be solved.:mug:

Thanks for the reply's, and keep them coming.

I have used the canaster with a 1 micron filter and it filters the beer very clearly.

Cold crashing works as well.

I had a keg of steam beer that sat in my garage for awhile and i guess started fermenting in the keg the beer had a lot of sedimant in it filtered it and was ready to drink it with in a few minuets.

Canaster is easy to get filters for and you can use it to dry hop your beer to the tap which is cool a hopanator

Canister. Cause I was going to need one anyways for my water filtering. So, I put disconnects on the in/out and can marry it to my fermenter, swap it back and forth ... with a thorough cleaning of course. Also, I would almost always be doing a pressurized transfer and filtering of fully or partially carbonated beer since I do pressure ferments. I like how 'closed' a canister filter is for that purpose. Doesn't a plate filter leak out the sides? I know that commercial ones tend to (that use filter pads) but that was OK cause it was never filtered after the brite tank, always before. But I carbonate in primary and I guess (not I know) that a canister might be preferable for that.

Having said that, I have yet to use my filter for anything other than water in a year. Cold crashing works great.

Back