filtering mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep let it sit and rack as lees collect, wait for it to be crystal clear - Read a newspaper through it clear. Oh, and most folks have trouble seeing anything in suspension at < 5 or 10 microns unless there are a TON of them. - Im pretty sure yeasts can be as small as 1 micron (Not sure about the yeasts used for fermentation however.) - Bacteria you will want to go to 0.45. I did look into filtering as an option for sweetening as i don't use sulfite to inhibit the yeast. There are options out there that look to me like they will work. Might eventually invest in one.

These are the two options I am considering. Much less expensive than a pressurized system.
https://www.southernhomebrew.com/vinbritefilter.html
https://www.amazon.com/Vinbrite-Mark-Iii-Wine-Filter/dp/B004NXSPLG

No, it's .45 micron for yeast. Bacteria is down to 0.2 micron.

Here's some cyser that had already been fined and racked a few times:

47187822201_ea76571f4e_c.jpg

Then filtered with the coarse pads (5 micron) with my Buon Vino Mini filter:

33312464538_d414322300_c.jpg

"No, it's .45 micron for yeast. Bacteria is down to 0.2 micron."

Yep - You are correct! - Remembered I knew that, but only after your post reminded me. (Blaming it on age.) :mad:

Maylar...so you recommend that Buon Vino Mini filter? I'm thinking of getting one to filter my meads and ciders. Does it remove all or most of the yeast? I'm discovering in my short time doing this that I'm having some not too good allergic reactions (tons of wheezing) and I'm about 99.9% sure it's the yeast. I have a couple options (before I have to reluctantly give it up). Filter and pasteurize to ensure there's absolutely none left. Or just quit. Those tastings really cause me to wheeze up. **** ain't worth dying over tho...

Maylar...so you recommend that Buon Vino Mini filter? I'm thinking of getting one to filter my meads and ciders. Does it remove all or most of the yeast? I'm discovering in my short time doing this that I'm having some not too good allergic reactions (tons of wheezing) and I'm about 99.9% sure it's the yeast. I have a couple options (before I have to reluctantly give it up). Filter and pasteurize to ensure there's absolutely none left. Or just quit. Those tastings really cause me to wheeze up. poopy ain't worth dying over tho...

You can remove most of the yeast, yes. You need to clarify the mead first with fining agents else the filter pads clog up quickly. The mini comes with 3 levels of filters and if you get all the way down to the finest level (0.5 micron) there will be very little yeast left. Typically most users only filter to the #2 pad (1.8 microns) and that's enough.

Do you have any reactions to commercial wines?

You can remove most of the yeast, yes. You need to clarify the mead first with fining agents else the filter pads clog up quickly. The mini comes with 3 levels of filters and if you get all the way down to the finest level (0.5 micron) there will be very little yeast left. Typically most users only filter to the #2 pad (1.8 microns) and that's enough.

Do you have any reactions to commercial wines?

Some wines I do...like some of the cheaper ones. I imagine that's due to cheap processes and tons of sulphites. I try not to add K Meta and just go sorbate. That's why I'm considering filtering and then as overkill to make sure pasteurize after bottling. I'm afraid that'll change the flavor profile on the meads...not so much the ciders tho.

Back