Filtering DIY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Roamer

Reaction score
So I'm pretty new to brewing. Ive done a few beer kits and a half dozen hydromels of different flavours. Super fun.
I really don't like the sediment, so Ive ordered parts to do pop bottle carbonation, since I only have small batches and have limited space at home.
I tried cold crashing last time, thinking all the yeast would drop since i put it outside in -40 weather...but no. Still sediment after bottling. Now Im thinking I have to filter.
Im outdoorsy and have a water filtration system for .1 micron. Basically you put water in a hydration bag and squeeze through the filter.
Has anyone else tried this? I have a new filter and want to try, but they are $30.00 each, so if it wont work, Id rather not waste a filter.
Any experience welcome

If you filter out the yeast, the beer won't carbonate.
Then there's also oxidation, and risk of infection.

@1Roamer
Cold crashing at 32F for a week (or 2, or longer if need be) should clarify pretty much any yeasty beverage. Use some gelatin to speed things up.
If that doesn't work, something else maybe off, mineral content, pH, mutated yeast, haze forming compounds, etc.

Then when racking or bottling, don't stick your siphon on the bottom, suspend it midway, leaving the precipitated yeast and trub behind.

I seriously doubt that filter will work for this purpose. It's meant to filter water that contains 1 ppm of foreign material, including bacteria. Your cloudy beer or hydromel contains at least 100x more substance (yeast cells). So the filter will plug up 100x faster.

They make dedicated (plate) filtering systems for wine, but they're pricey, and there's a good risk of oxidation, as they can't be purged or primed well.

Not to mention that if you bottle condition, or carbonate in bottles, you will always get sediment from that process no matter how you filter prior to bottling, up until the point you remove so much yeast filtering that there is enough remaining to carbonate in the bottle.

Back