Filtering before fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aron2382

Reaction score
Just curious about opinions on filtering before fermentation after an all grain brew.

Currently I whirlpool the boil a bit and then run the wort off into a bucket with the wort chiller in it, but before it hits the bucket I have a nice wire mesh strainer on top of the chiller that helps collect any extra grain and most of the hops.

Would like to hear thoughts on this practice. Other practices. Benefits or consequences on filtering out all the hops before primary.

Love to hear from you... Cheers!

Interesting article posted by Josh. I do the same as you (although I cool the wort first), with running it through a strainer that's sitting on top of the fermentation bucket with no ill effects. The secondary positive is that with it going through the strainer, it helps oxygenate it and I don't have to swirl it so much once it's in the fermentation bucket.

+1. I also use the strainer on top of the fermenter but more for the aeration than filter. I've done it for about the last year with no I'll affect.

Back