Filtering beer without using kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ni4ni

Reaction score
Hello

Im new to brewing (made 3 batches so far).
I used priming sugar, but I really hate the sediment in the bottle cause I like to drink my beer directly from the bottle. So I figured I have to filter my beer.

Most of the documents on the internet said I have to use two kegs to filter my beer, but this is to expensive for me right now. I thought maybe I can build some kind of piston that will run in my fermantation bucket and act like a big injector, forcing the beer through a filter (instead of air preasure in a keg). Then I will still have to carbonate my beer. Maybe I can do it using regular home soda making machine... It may work.

What do you think about this idea ? Is it possible ? Did anyone try to carbonate his beer with a home soda machine ?

Thanks

Guy

If you use priming sugar, you need yeast to ferment it. If you filter, you take out the yeast, giving you flat sweet beer.

I have no idea about the soda machine. Does it force carbonate? If so, you may be ok using it. Without force carbonation, you need yeast to carbonate, and they will leave sediment.

-magno

ni4ni said:
Hello

Im new to brewing (made 3 batches so far).
I used priming sugar, but I really hate the sediment in the bottle cause I like to drink my beer directly from the bottle. So I figured I have to filter my beer.

Most of the documents on the internet said I have to use two kegs to filter my beer, but this is to expensive for me right now. I thought maybe I can build some kind of piston that will run in my fermantation bucket and act like a big injector, forcing the beer through a filter (instead of air preasure in a keg). Then I will still have to carbonate my beer. Maybe I can do it using regular home soda making machine... It may work.

What do you think about this idea ? Is it possible ? Did anyone try to carbonate his beer with a home soda machine ?

Thanks

Guy

how does a home soda machine work?

The more you rack your beer the cleaner it will be. When I first started I fermented for 7-14 days and then racked into bottling bucket and added priming sugar then bottled. There was a decent amount of sediment in each bottle. As time went by I used the method of first racking in 7 days then racked into secondary fermenter 5-7 days later and this made a remarkable difference in the beers. Hardly any to no sediment in the bottles. I have even racked three times and found the beer so clean it was like the commercial beers. I learned this from wineries that make these really awesome wines but pride themselves on not filtering. They use barrels once they rack two or three times and then they rack another two or three times more over time to get desired flavors from the specific oak barrels being used and every time they rack they are leaving behind sediment. It is a little more work yet this is how the pros do it for a cleaner product. I have filtered my beer with a filter and pads and there still was some sedimet. When I rack over time two or three times without filtering the beer it is clean. Or you can do as many homebrewers do and learn to drink the sediment. Many find it tasty.

Hmmm... well, the soda machine I know has a small bottle of co2 attached to it, a small chambre to put your bottle in and a handle. When you pull the handle, a small tube is lowered into the bottle and releasing some gas.
It carbonates water and juice, so why cant it do the same with beer ?

ni4ni said:
Hmmm... well, the soda machine I know has a small bottle of co2 attached to it, a small chambre to put your bottle in and a handle. When you pull the handle, a small tube is lowered into the bottle and releasing some gas.
It carbonates water and juice, so why cant it do the same with beer ?

I think most sodas are carbed @ 30psi.
In beer that much CO2 could create carbonic acid and one heck of a bitter off flavor.

Have you thought about making a carb cap?
You would have to use plastic bottles.

:mug:

1. Yeast is far too small to be completely filtered by homebrewers. Filtering only removes the focculated yeast, clumped protein, hop particles, etc.
2. Without yeast in the bottle, you won't get any carbonation.
3. Rack to a secondary, add a clarifier and let it settle for two weeks.
4. Rack to your priming bucket, prime and bottle.

You'll still have some sediment, but it will be a lot less.

Back