Filtering and infusing in one filter push?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgrabstein

Reaction score
I just put together a basic keg liquid to keg liquid inline water filter that many homebrewers use, and I'm wondering about infusions:

Can I throw some hops or mint or oak or whatever into the filter housing (outside the filter) so it infuses right before/at the same time as it filters? Anyone tried this?

Cheers,
Danny G

keg to keg filter.jpg

I've never considered filtering my home brew as by the time it's fully cold-conditioned in the kegs it's dropped quite bright (at least those styles where it might matter - my neipas, otoh, as still as hazy as ever). But I would expect trying to use a single canister for both filtering and as a Randall might up the level of difficulty of accomplishing both. If I was inclined to give this idea a real go I'd use two canisters in series...

Cheers!

Thanks for your input brother.

With beer, it clears very well cold crashed. I'm actually brewing mead and it's difficult to clear sometimes with fruit additions and protein additions (as yeast nutrient).

I have no interest in a Randall, but if I'm already filtering, I figured some flavorings in the filter gap could be worth it.

Cheers

I just put together a basic keg liquid to keg liquid inline water filter that many homebrewers use, and I'm wondering about infusions:

Can I throw some hops or mint or oak or whatever into the filter housing (outside the filter) so it infuses right before/at the same time as it filters? Anyone tried this?

Cheers,
Danny G
My guess it will instanstly clog up the filter and it will be game over right away...
What's the nominal fitler cutoff?

Latest posts

Back