Filtering already kegged beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bemerritt

Reaction score
So after three weeks in the keg, my dry hopped IPA is still pouring with a bunch of crap in the glass. I have poured ~4 pints hoping that eventually I would suck up all of the crud that settled at the bottom of the keg but I am tired of it. This is the second time I have brewed this beer and last time it did not take nearly as long to clear.

So my question is, what is the best way to filter this beer as I transfer to a new corny? Is simply using sanitized and auto siphon with a voila bag wrapped around the end the best way? Obviously the goal must also be to reduce foaming. THe other way would be to use ~3 psi to push the beer out and to have 10 feet of tubing with the end of that wrapped with a mesh bag.

THoughts?

I bet it'll clear in its own. I dry hopped my most recent IPA in the keg and didnt tie the bag shut well enough, resulting in tons of hop lears floating around. It took quite a few pints to get it to clear, but it cleared up just fine.

The good news is that it tastes great. But at this point I would not serve it to guests. I'll take a pic of it tonight when I get home from work.

cold crash that thing at like 34F for 2-3 days. it will surely clear then.

-=Jason=-

I've been wanting to make a a kegging filtering setup using the ball lock connections to use jumper hoses. and transfer using co2 to push out of one keg, into the water filter thingy, and into my serving keg.

-=Jason=-

Flomaster said:
cold crash that thing at like 34F for 2-3 days. it will surely clear then. -=Jason=-

In my experience it may take more like a week or two to fully clear. But agree that with time and patience (and a few more delicious cloudy pours you'll have to suffer through yourself) it should eventually clear just sitting I the keg at serving temps.

You could try products like Biofine or gelatin. I would think that transfering and using a hop bag would end up being a PITA and the mesh would probably clog...

Back