filtered out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MalasaluD

Reaction score
Hello I am new i just made my first batch
but i think i made a terrible terrible mistake!
I read all of the instructions completly and followed them but i filtered the mash with a sanitized basket strainer... i do not know why i did this after i did this i remembered that i havn't read anywhere to filter the gunk out ...soo am i screwed or what? will the yeast still preform?? will i have beer?? i dont know why i did this!
any suggestions? should i see what happens or is it useless and throw it out

RDWHAHB even though you can't because it's your first batch lol. A lot of people strain out the gunk.

thanks for the help guys. i got a little too anxious i think. I don't know what RDWHAHB is haha

I know everyone would say to look up what it means but i know i always hate looking stuff up lol. It's:

Relax Dont' Worry, Have A Home Brew!

What recipe did you brew? What procedures did you follow? I ask mostly to clear up any further confusion, not to worry you. Some of the kit recipes have TERRIBLE instructions.

Mostly, RDWHAHB!

this was the recepie
7 1/2 lb. Organic pale barley malt extract
1/2 lb. Briess Caramel 60 oL
1/4 lb. Briess Caramel 20 oL
1/4 lb. Weyermann Carahell malt
3/4 oz Organic New Zealand Pacific Gem hop pellets- bittering (42 IBU)
1 oz American Cascade hops- flavor (12 IBU)
1 oz Organic New Zealand Hallertaur hops- aroma

these are some of the directions that i am confused about

11. If you have a secondary fermenter, transfer the beer to it when fermentation activity has subsided (after 4-7 days). If desired, add 1 oz. New Zealand Hallertaur hops to the secondary fermenter for dry hopping.
12. Ferment for an additional 7- 14 days, or until fermentation is complete.

is secondary fermenting necessary? i do not have a nother fermenter. also i thought the kit came with a hydrometer but it didn't so is there a way to tell when it stopped fermenting it started within 36 hours but it could have started sooner as i did not keep an eye on it.

Latest posts

Back