Filter for siphon tube - leave the trub behind

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcusKillion

Reaction score
So I have this brass coffee filter . The cone type . Bought it at grocery store for a few bucks . I wire tied my sip[hon tube to the handle and then drop it into the fermentation bucket and siphon into bottle bucket . The filter stops all that trub from getting sucked up when there is a lot in the bucket .
I also use the filter without the tube attached for filtering when I have lots of crap floating around in the beer like spices or hops . I just hold the filter in one hand and place the tube in it and raise it along with the beer level in the bottle bucket . I get nice clean beer that way .
I thought about attaching some floats made from plastic pill bottles to the side of the filter so it would float up on it's own and I could just hold the tube .

Picture 006 (Medium).jpg

Picture 005 (Medium).jpg

You're putting this in the source vessel? Do you find you lose your siphon a lot due to not enough flow through the cone sides, from trub buildup?

I'd imagine you only dip it in a bit so it doesn't flow over the top?

I sit it to the back of the bucket and as the level gets lower I tilt the bucket back so as to make it deeper in the back and it gets just as much as I would with only the siphon tube . My pics did not show it good but this is just like a paper cone shape coffee filter and is only about a half inch wide at the bottom and the screen goes all the way down to 1/4 inch above the bottom of the filter . the black tip on the siphon tube is only about 1/4 inch higher than it would be if it were not in the filter . I will post a couple more pics of it that show it better .

the first pic is with it in the bottom of the bucket . I put a piece of paper under it so you could tell where the bottom was . The second one is sitting on the bottom ( outside ) of the bucket . You can see that it is almost as close to the bucket as it would be without the filter .

Picture 008 (Medium).jpg

Picture 009 (Medium).jpg

Back