Film on the inside of carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lsrc11

Reaction score
I soaked my carboy over night with B brite now there is a white film on the inside and the brush won't remove it how can I clean it. I heard a acidic solution like vinegar might help any solutions.

I haven't worked with B brite myself, but if an acid solution is supposed to help, I'd just give it a quick 20-30 minute soak in a starsan dilution to take care of it.

+1 for oxyclean...I always soak my fermenters overnight and they are crystal clear in the morning no matter how much crud was built up. Vinegar is also totally safe but the amount you have to use compared to a scoop of oxyclean makes it kind of annoying, not to mention I always feel weird about using a fermenter before that vinegar scent is totally gone...oxyclean is rinse and go.

Did you find something to remove the film? I've come across the same thing. 6.5 gallon glass carboy. I'm hit it with just about everything and still there.

RastlinV said:
Did you find something to remove the film? I've come across the same thing. 6.5 gallon glass carboy. I'm hit it with just about everything and still there.

Ya I just used 2 parts white vinegar to 1 part hot water soaked for a few minutes and repeated with clean water and good as new and nice and shiny

Back