Film floating in the boil kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C-Rider

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've never seen this before. There's about 20 min left inthe boil and I noticed this when I reset the timer on the turkey frier.

IMGP0864.jpg

Did you get the oil out after finishing the turkey?

It looks like hot break foam (if I have the terminology correct). It doesn't look like anything I wouldn't expect during the boil.

Unless you are talking about the white at the top which I took to be a reflection or something. If it's that you are doomed!

Never did a turkey :)

Yea I think it's the Hot Break as you said. I was running out of gas, lucky had a fresh bottle. Flame wasn't as hot as should be. Hooked up a new tank and got a good rolling boil for the last 20 min.

BTW just tried "early" a S.N. Torpedo Clone. HMMMMM good, can't remember if it was my recipe or I copied it her someplace.

Have you done any all grain batches previous to this one? Btw I'm sure you're fine, from everything I have gathered about the only thing to worry about during the boil is too hot of a flame. You may scorch the sugar that's boiling producing a bad flavor. But any films that are produced should settle during the chilling stage. Even if it is something that is undesirable.

Have you done any all grain batches previous to this one? Btw I'm sure you're fine, from everything I have gathered about the only thing to worry about during the boil is too hot of a flame. You may scorch the sugar that's boiling producing a bad flavor. But any films that are produced should settle during the chilling stage. Even if it is something that is undesirable.

I've done a dozen or so 1 3/4 g brews. Just never noticed one like that before. Still had 20 min of boil coming so really wasn't to worried about it. Tks.

You're fine. It's just hop oils/residue/protein. I get this almost every boil. I've seen it at home and commercially.

Carry on.

Back