Filling headspace in carboy for long term aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gotbags-10

Reaction score
Racking a batch of cider into a a carboy for long term aging. What should I use to take up headspace. A little over 4g of cider in a 5g carboy. I do have a co2 tank but not sure how to fill it. Also should I leave an airlock on or solid bung? Thanks

Purge the headspace with CO2 from your tank. Keep an airlock on the carboy, as the yeasties will still generate small amounts of CO2 while cleaning up. Don't forget to check the airlock periodically to make sure it hasn't run dry.

Put the hose from the tank regulator into the top of the carboy and run it for a while at a low pressure to lessen the amount of o2 in headspace and then put a solid bung in tight enough to keep air out but loose enough to push out if some infection happens and more co2 is generated during a secondary fermentation. Don't want the carboy to explode.

While purging with c02 may be ok for a short term fix, I would not plan on long term aging that way. If you have 4 gallons of liquid in a 5 gallon carboy, that's a lot of headspace!

Why not bottle it when clear and age it in the bottle? That way you'd have no risk of oxidation or infection and the cider will age just fine in the bottle.

Well I certainly don't want to risk letting it go bad in the carboy. I eventually was planning on kegging and force carbing the cider. Would long term aging be better in the keg with the O2 purged?

Why would headspace matter when it is occupied with CO2 anyway?

Because it dissipates, and the ideal gas law shows how all gasses seek equilibrium. Even with active fermentation, the headspace is never 100% c02, but it's active enough that it doesn't matter. Once fermentation slows down, that changes. Airlocks (even the water in an airlock) allow air exchange, as do silicone bungs and stoppers and other stoppers.

Because it dissipates, and the ideal gas law shows how all gasses seek equilibrium. Even with active fermentation, the headspace is never 100% c02, but it's active enough that it doesn't matter. Once fermentation slows down, that changes. Airlocks (even the water in an airlock) allow air exchange, as do silicone bungs and stoppers and other stoppers.

Which is why they used to use lead (shudder) on bottles I believe.

Back