Filling bottles from a CO2 carbonated keg, which has priming sugar already added

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BitterSweetBrews

Tim Trabold
Reaction score
I just kegged 5 gallons of a lager and had initially planned on filling some bottles (about 24) from the keg for some contests and sharing. I planned on doing it right away, but life took over and it has been about a week. I kind of screwed myself. I filled the keg with the full batch, bled it and planned on pushing it to bottles with CO2. I added priming sugar in the keg to prime the beer for bottling. I put the keg on gas to push it, but didn't have the time that evening to finish the project. I had planned on doing it the next day and left the gas on. It is sitting at 34 degrees F. I am concerned about bottling now, since it is now carbonated and there is priming sugar in it which I doubt has fermented out at such a low temp.

With the beer already carbonated, I am afraid the priming sugar would over carbonate the bottles.

I have a few questions and scenarios I would like feedback on.

I wasn't worried about pressure in the keg, because it was going to be half full and I can always bleed it and adjust the gas pressure. So, I am considering taking the beer out of the keezer and letting it get to room temp and ferment out the sugar before bottling. I think I can put a spunding valve on it to release pressure as it carbonates.

So, if I let the keg raise to a higher temp, say 60 degrees, the high end of the lager yeast scale, will it affect the beer?

I like your idea of letting the beer warm and putting a spunding valve on the keg. Then you should be able to bottle from a tap as normal.

As to your second question, I wouldn't think so, as it presumably has gone through whatever conditioning it might have done. But I'm not certain as to that. I would do it, and wouldn't expect terrible things to occur.

I don't think you have much choice either way. Raise temp, put spunding valve on it, when done chill and then do with it what you will.

I have had the beer sitting at room temperature with the spunding valve set at around 10 lbs for almost 3 weeks. It has been in the keg for almost 4 weeks.

I bled it yesterday and this morning the pressure on the spunding valve showed about 6 lbs. I bled it again. I am wondering how much longer, if any, I should give it before I can feel safe the priming sugar has been used up. I would like to put it back in the keezer, on gas and be confident that if I fill a few bottles in a couple weeks, after the gas has carbonated it, that they won't explode later. I need some bottles for a contest in 3 weeks.

What does everyone think? Is the priming sugar used up after 25 days (with 20 at 68-70 degrees)?

Back