filling an airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maylar

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is definitely a noob question -

I have a 1 gallon glass jug, #6 rubber bung, and an S-style bubbler airlock. I put vodka in the airlock such that both "chambers" were 1/2 full - like I've seen in pictures. Push the bung into the bottle, and the air pressure in the bottle pushes all the liquid out of the first chamber.

So... what's the correct way of doing this?

TIA

Dave

That's it.

If pressure changes it will pull back the other way.

You want them half full so they will stop air coming through but not suck the liquid back with it.

Say if you crash cool the when the temp drops it will suck back towards the fermenter a traditional airlock will suck liquid back through until there isn't enough to make a seal this defeating the purpose of the airlock.

Sent from somewhere to someone

Once the yeast generate CO2, there will be positive pressure within and those 2 airlock chambers will never be equal. It's good to go the way you set it up.

If you are keeping the beer in there for an extended period, check it periodically for evaporation losses in the airlock and replace sanitizer as needed.

Back