Filled a purged keg - but I don't have any more gas line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pointyskull

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a relatively new 3-tap kegerator - and up until now only ever had 2 kegs in there. And apparently only bought enough gas line for two kegs.

I just filled keg number 3. Prior to filling keg was purged from a secondary C02 tank (which is now empty) via a very short gas line (which is too short to use in the kegerator).

My question is should my kegged homebrew be relatively safe in a purged keg for a few days until my gas line arrives.

In theory it shouldn't be that much different if it was a secondary transfer, but I am just looking for something to calm my concerns.

thx

Other than not carbonating, there is nothing that is going to happen to your 3rd keg. Keeping it in the kegerator will help keep it fresh.

Carbonating a keg shouldn't do anything biologically to your beer. As long as the beer and equipment are well sanitized, it should be fine.

It should be okay with any luck there should be some residual CO2 in there if not in there still unfinished yeast in there there's always the possibility of creating a little CO2 two blanket The Keg might not hurt to keep it at Cellar temperature just to see if that occurs if you're unsure whether or not it's under enough pressure

I think it will be safe, but I would pressurize the lid by briefly connecting to one of your serving lines, unless that is too difficult. My kegerator is a 4.4 cu ft fridge, I can just open the door and stretch the line out.

What they said.^
Pressurise the keg and store inside your kegerator. You only need a T-splitter, a piece of gas line, a few clamps, and a QD to connect your 3rd keg. That's provided you already have a beer hook up to your 3rd faucet.

It's always nice to have a spare C02 line for just this purpose. You can change to a double reg or change your manifold to a triple pretty easily.

*Ok I think I assumed you don't have a third port but it seems you only need a third gas line which is on the way

Back