Fighting off a brewery infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedgehogbrew

Reaction score
The last couple of batches I have made have turned up sour. I have taken the following steps to eliminate this from any further batches:

Replaced my Star-San solution. I had been using the wonderfully high alkaline tap water of MN to make a cloudy solution. I purchased RO water to make the last batch of solution.

Replaced my bottling bucket and spigot.

I will replace my tubing before using it again also.

Should I replace my auto-siphon also?

Is there anything else I should do to stop this from happening again?

I would replace any plastic/rubber parts and really think about your process. Are you exposing you wort to air post boil or any other source of possible contamination?

Take the valve out of your bottling bucket and soak it well.

OOPS, you said that already.

I had a few sour batches mixed between good ones. Never did figure out what was wrong.

I had the same issue a while back.i threw away any plastic . Soaked everything in bleach solution overnight, and changed the sanitizer. I was using idophor , but changed to star San. I change it up every couple of weeks just to make sure they don't get used to star San..long believe it but I am paranoid.

I also replace all my tubing quite freq now. It's somewhat cheap and not worth the hassle. I also went to a pot with a valve on it...only thing touching beer after it cools is the tubing , from pot to fermentor, fermentor and oxygen wand.

Back