Fiddler's Elbow Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soylentred

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good AG Fiddlers elbow clone? I'm planning out my next few brews and am going to try some of the wychwood brews. Orfy's Hobgoblin is on my list!!!

Thanks!

:mug:

i will be watching as well. hobgoblin ,old speckled hen and fiddlers elbow are my 3 favourites - and ory's versions of the first two are great!

Hmm.. not a whole lot of info on this beer out there. I couldn't find any recipes or much talk on any homebrew forums but from the Wychwood page:

This wheat-brewed refreshing summer ale is 4.5% ABV in bottle. The addition of the choicest English wheat malt perfectly complements the use of Styrian Goldings hops. The end result is a wonderful combination of citrus and floral aroma, with tart citric fruit flavours and a long hoppy fruity finish. A wonderfully refreshing beer.

Wychwood - brewers of characterABV: 4.5%
Bottle: 500ml
Cask: as a seasonal beer only
Hops: Styrian and Northdown
Malts: Pale Wheat and Crystal

I've never had this beer but with the information given I guess if I were to attempt to clone this I would make a simple wheat beer with a bit of medium crystal. Bitter with Northdown and use Styrian Goldings for flavor and aroma. And use a dry English yeast. I think this would at least get you in the ballpark and allow you to make small tweaks to get closer to what you're shooting for.

It seems to be a pretty elusive one, I've had trouble finding any thing on a clone for it. I'll do some playing around with that and see what I can come up with :)

I love this beer too and need to get it in the rotation. Here's the stab I took at the recipe:

5.0 lbs Maris Otter
3.0 lbs Wheat Malt
.50 lbs Crystal 40

.50 oz Northern Brewer @ 60min
.50 oz Goldings @ FWH
.50 oz Goldings @ 5min

Plan on making this next time I make the Hobgoblin. It needs a good British liquid yeast. Probably try WLP002 or 005.

Using the same base malts, but I have a pound of first gold and will be using those. Hop schedule:

.50 oz first gold @ 60min
.50 oz first gold @ 20min

Pitching wlp002.

This should get me close. Plan on making it this week. Will advise.

Back