Fiasco!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retired_young

Reaction score
This morning was kegging day for a batch of Mac & Jack's clone. We tasted it out of the fermenter 2 nights ago, and it was fantastic.

I use old pony kegs with Hoff-Stevens adapters, so the keg only fills about 2/3 of the way, but a couple gallons are above the bung hole. So I hook up my racking hose and fill the keg. Grab one of the 4 new bungs I just bought and it was TOO SMALL.

Committed now, I grabbed a white rubber bung I use for cleaning. Banged it in as hard as I could. I wanted to get CO2 on it soon. Put it in my cooler and started trickling in CO2. Went into other room to grab my fermenter and start cleaning when BOOM, the rubber bung shoots halfway across my family room. The couple gallons above the bung line drain out underneath the rug. Spray shot as far as 15 feet.

For now, I've put the rubber bung back in and refrigerated the keg until I can get another real bung this afternoon. I suspect what remains will be just fine.

Oh, how I can count the lessons. Brewing is easy, but for all these little technical details.

I hate to laugh at your misfortune, but that really does paint a funny picture (as well as your family room). You have a good story now. I expect the beer will be just fine, too.

TL

15 feet of spray - I've been there and it sucks. I was wiping dried beer out of surfaces of my house that I didn't even know existed for a long while! In my case I was carbing using the shake method and wasn't using hose clamps. Big mistake.

EDIT - The beer was fine though and I'm sure yours will be as well.

Back