Fg too high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derekj427

Reaction score
A bit of a newb here. I am transferring into my bottling bucket and I have already added my 3/4 cup of dme boiled in 2 cups of water and cooled to 19°c then I started transferring my beer from the carboy into the bucket as well. Half way through transferring I took a sample for the hydrometer. Uh oh, it reads 1.015. I think that might make bottle bombs. What should I do? Do I bottle any way or ferment out the dme I added and try bottling again when the sg is at a safe reading or just wate until the sg drops a bit then bottle without adding any more sugars? Please help :-$

Sent from my SGH-I757M using Home Brew mobile app

Im working on my first brew myself, however from my understanding. If the FG is below 1.018 its good. Also you said you added some dme for bottling. That'll raise it a little as well. Id recommend keeping the bottles a little on the cool side 64-65 degrees to let the carbonation happen slowly but by the sounds of it you shouldnt have any bombs. Like i said though im working on my first batch as well, but i have done a lot of research. Hope you the best.

015 is not that high, maybe higher than you wanted or expected. But it's not crazy. As long as you pitched enough yeast and not doing a high gravity beer where other factors come into play and gave it at least weeks to complete fermentation, should be fine.

You can't take fg after adding bottling sugar. It will read high. 1015 you're fine. Now let it sit in the bottle for a month.

You can't take fg after adding bottling sugar. It will read high. 1015 you're fine. Now let it sit in the bottle for a month.

If my calculations are right, taking away the priming sugar and you should have been around 012-013 so probably not as far off as you thought.

From what I understand...it highly depends on the brew. By that I mean....I recently fermented a Caribou Slobber extract kit. My Starting OG was 1.056 and my FG was 1.020. This gave me a 4.73 ABV by my calculations...After three weeks in the carboy...and no change in the FG I was perplexed...then I learned that my FG was quite common with that particular kit. There was not a goal FG on my instructions...so basically what I am saying is you should be fine...

I would err on the side of caution and let it ferment out, and then take a couple more gravity readings. You didn't say whether you took a FG reading before your 1.015 sample, but best practice is to take 2-3 gravity readings over the course of several days so you can be sure fermentation has stopped before you bottle. With only one reading, none of us can predict whether you'll get bottle bombs.

Compare your fg to your og. The fg should be about a 1/4 to 1/5 of the og. Plus that isn't a high gravity any way I think your probably safe.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

There seems to be a little miss understanding. My bad, sorry. The reading was taken from a sample from the siphon house before it reached the bottle bucket with the added dme as I was transferring it.
My goal fg is 1.007.
I elected to put it all back into the carboy and ferment out the added dme and remaining sugars. Too bad for me but better safe then sorry. Could use a little higher abv anyways.
Learning from this, I'll remember to take a couple readings over a week to see if the sg changed.
Thanks for all the help everyone

Sent from my SGH-I757M using Home Brew mobile app

Back