FG Too High for Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meatball358

Reaction score
I Brewed an Extract Oatmeal stout about 3 weeks ago and the Fermentation seems to have stopped right around 1.022 (about 5 days after fermentation started it was at 1.023...now 2 weeks later it remains at 1.022)....the OG was 1.062 and its been at about 68 degrees F throughout fermentation... Is this FG a problem or is it something I should let sit for a while to see if it comes down?

Any1 wanna weigh in?
Plz and thanks

Give it some time. If you're worried, you can give the fermenter a gentle swirl to re-suspend some of the yeast.

Some extracts are very high in unfermentables and will give you a high FG. Some of my brews that use a lot of amber extract will finish around 1.020 and that's just where they're done.

Give it another week or two and see what it's done.

I agree with Chshre; give it more time after you rouse the yeast. Sometimes the yeast settles too quickly and will result in a higher than expected FG.

what is it supposed to be at?

It's already at 5.3%ABV and my experience with oatmeal stouts is that they aren't very bitter.

Might as well let 'er ride for a while longer though.

Back