FG readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossscottnz

Learner brewer running amok
Reaction score
Last night I checked my beer as there had not been any activity with the airlock and the krausen layer had gone when I took a look through where the airlock sits, I took a sample and checked it with the hydrometer and it came in at 1.004 I checked it again today and it was still the same the beer tastes fine the bitterness gives the taste buds a good twang which is what I like in a bitter. I did use a coopers real ale kit and used the yeast that came with the can so nothing fancy here as this is only the third time I have ever tried to make beer after my first two attempts about 8 years ago failed miserably, the sugar I used for the brew was 750 grams of table sugar SG was 1.036 prior to pitching the yeast (I prefer to have beers that don't turn me into a babbling idiot after a couple of pints I do a good enough job at that when sober). Is that FG ok as I intend to bottle it if it has stayed the same when I check again tomorrow.

I think that FG sounds about right. I watch my beer and let it age for a while after it is done, but there are others that like to package as soon as attenuation stops. Those whobdo it that way say three stable measurements over three days is the rule of thumb.

If your 1.004 reading is correct, that beer is most likely done. For all security, take another reading 3 days later, and if they match this one, it's ready to bottle. Those extra 3 days help with conditioning and allow time for the yeast to floc out, giving you clearer beer in your bottles.

How long has the beer been in the fermentor?
What was your starting gravity? OK, 1.036, I just saw it.

As a general rule, don't judge fermentation by airlock activity. Most fermentors are not airtight, they leak notoriously, especially around lids.

On a side note, read around the forums here and see if you're interested in brewing better beer using a higher percentage of malt (extract) and less or no sugar. Sugar provides alcohol, but no flavor.

If your 1.004 reading is correct, that beer is most likely done. For all security, take another reading 3 days later, and if they match this one, it's ready to bottle. Those extra 3 days help with conditioning and allow time for the yeast to floc out, giving you clearer beer in your bottles.

How long has the beer been in the fermentor?
What was your starting gravity?

As a general rule, don't judge fermentation by airlock activity. Most fermentors are not airtight, they leak notoriously, especially around lids.
Beer has been in the fermenter for 6 days start gravity was 1.036 as I was aiming for 3.5 - 4.0% alcohol content I don't just go by the airlock I do also check with the hydrometer

Beer has been in the fermenter for 6 days start gravity was 1.036 as I was aiming for 3.5 - 4.0% alcohol content I don't just go by the airlock I do also check with the hydrometer

Sorry, I was edited my reply while you answered back. There's some extra information in it now, please re-read.

6 days for a 1.036 ale is about right. It's most likely ready to bottle, if you're in a hurry. Even if it drops another point after bottling that won't explode bottles if you prime it correctly.

Sorry, I was edited my reply while you answered back. There's some extra information in it now, please re-read.

6 days for a 1.036 ale is about right. It's most likely ready to bottle, if you're in a hurry. Even if it drops another point after bottling that won't explode bottles if you prime it correctly.
I have got carbonation drops to use in the bottles and I will be bottling the beer in 750ml swing tops that I got with a bunch of used brewing gear for a dirt cheap price through our local auction site even though I did buy a brand new fermenter the day before I scored the other stuff and now have 3 fermenters (one has pineapple guava (feijoa) wine fermenting in it). I want to try priming half of the bottles with brown sugar (say 1/2 teaspoon) and the other half with the carbonation drops to see if there will be any difference in flavour as our brown sugar here in NZ has a slight molasses/caramel flavor in it.

I have got carbonation drops to use in the bottles and I will be bottling the beer in 750ml swing tops that I got with a bunch of used brewing gear for a dirt cheap price through our local auction site even though I did buy a brand new fermenter the day before I scored the other stuff and now have 3 fermenters (one has pineapple guava (feijoa) wine fermenting in it). I want to try priming half of the bottles with brown sugar (say 1/2 teaspoon) and the other half with the carbonation drops to see if there will be any difference in flavour as our brown sugar here in NZ has a slight molasses/caramel flavor in it.

Always nice to find a great deal! You simply can't have too many fermentors.

All brown sugar is made from white sugar with molasses added.
In some (darker) beers a little brown sugar works fine, but IMO it sometimes leaves a metallic taste especially if overused. I chalk that up the molasses. But sure, try it in a few and see if you like it, it's such a little bit. Just measure accurately to prevent <boom> later.

Although convenient, I found carbonation drops a bit expensive, so when I bottle I always prime with regular sugar, corn sugar, DME, or Speisse. I've also added candi syrup to the bottling bucket for Belgian beers.

Sugar should always be weighed, not measured by volume. Especially brown sugar, as it compacts easily.

Brew on :mug:

I always weigh my stuff even when cooking I do not take it for granted that what is in the package is the correct weight hell I even have measuring spoons that measure pinch, dash and smidge lol

That's a good start. When do you plan to buy more?

I think I have 5 and sometimes have all 5 full of beer. It helps to have more so I don't rush my beer as I think you are doing. Once the fermentation stops the beer will start to clear as the yeast and trub that were so well mixed in settle out, Then, once bottled, beer still takes some time to carbonate and mature with the time need for that depending on the amount of alcohol and how dark the color with high alcohol dark beers taking the longest.

That's a good start. When do you plan to buy more?

I think I have 5 and sometimes have all 5 full of beer. It helps to have more so I don't rush my beer as I think you are doing. Once the fermentation stops the beer will start to clear as the yeast and trub that were so well mixed in settle out, Then, once bottled, beer still takes some time to carbonate and mature with the time need for that depending on the amount of alcohol and how dark the color with high alcohol dark beers taking the longest.
What makes you think I am rushing this brew I mixed everything 6 days ago took a start gravity reading and pitched the yeast and left it alone for the week at room temp to ferment and only checked the gravity of it last night and again today, this beer isn't a high alcohol beer I purposely aimed for 3-4% alcohol content with it. So please do not think for one second that I am rushing this. No plans to buy more fermenters as I am not brewing large amounts just enough for me to enjoy a beer or two after work I only have 40 bottles to use and I think that is more than enough at this stage.

Last edited:
Most brewers allow 3-5 days for fermentation and a couple more for clearing up (sediment and possibly off flavors). So IMO 6 days pushing things. I don't like to mess with my beers early so I wait 14 days and often longer through procrastination before I take any gravity readings. When I want a quick turn around I take one reading on day 14, if it is what I expect I bottle without waiting to take another reading. If I take a reading and am in doubt it is done I wait a few days to a week then one other reading. I feel the less you mess with the beer the less chance you have of infecting or oxidizing it.

What makes you think I am rushing this brew I mixed everything 6 days ago took a start gravity reading and pitched the yeast and left it alone for the week at room temp to ferment and only checked the gravity of it last night and again today, this beer isn't a high alcohol beer I purposely aimed for 3-4% alcohol content with it. So please do not think for one second that I am rushing this. No plans to buy more fermenters as I am not brewing large amounts just enough for me to enjoy a beer or two after work I only have 40 bottles to use and I think that is more than enough at this stage.

Experience is what makes me think you are rushing. I've bottled beer after a week in the fermenter and while it was at FG and it came out OK, there was a lot of trub in each bottle and I had to leave a lot of beer behind to keep the trub out of my glass. I also have learned that beers aren't ready to be drunk right away. Most take weeks to months to mature. Rushing to bottle them doesn't really help.

Experience is what makes me think you are rushing. I've bottled beer after a week in the fermenter and while it was at FG and it came out OK, there was a lot of trub in each bottle and I had to leave a lot of beer behind to keep the trub out of my glass. I also have learned that beers aren't ready to be drunk right away. Most take weeks to months to mature. Rushing to bottle them doesn't really help.

Had someone say in another thread that if your beer need to age to improve it is bad processes. Then I suggested a Russian Imperial Stout needing to age so as not to be harsh. That was described as "changing". I said changing for the better so to me that was "improving". The shortest I have gone is 2 weeks fermenting, force carb in the keg and a few days. It took another week before the beers started pouring clear. When bottled, 2 weeks fermentation, tried a bottle at 2 weeks, but ALL of my beers have tasted better at 3 weeks bottle conditioning or longer. Some just a little and some a lot.

Well you are wrong about me rushing I am more than happy to let it sit longer I asked the question because I am still new to this and wanted to make sure not have people tell me that I am rushing had you have suggested to let it sit longer I would have been all for it but to try and tell me that I am rushing stuff when I am actually not really annoys the heck out of me. for all I care I could hop in the kenworth tomorrow and stay away for a week or two and leave that beer to sit on its trub as it isn't going to be going anywhere.

Well you are wrong about me rushing I am more than happy to let it sit longer I asked the question because I am still new to this and wanted to make sure not have people tell me that I am rushing had you have suggested to let it sit longer I would have been all for it but to try and tell me that I am rushing stuff when I am actually not really annoys the heck out of me. for all I care I could hop in the kenworth tomorrow and stay away for a week or two and leave that beer to sit on its trub as it isn't going to be going anywhere.

In RM_MN's defense, I too took it that you were trying to finish up this beer as quickly as you could. I think it is nothing more than misunderstanding what you were asking.

In RM_MN's defense, I too took it that you were trying to finish up this beer as quickly as you could. I think it is nothing more than misunderstanding what you were asking.
That is exactly what I was getting at just because I asked about a particular gravity reading I was wanting to make sure nothing had gone wrong with this beer especially when my very first brew came out tasting like bananas and then my second brew tasted god awful and had very high alcohol level (these two brews was when I tried home brewing 8 years ago) so I am making damn sure I do not make any mistakes this time.

@rossscottnz I don't read the post about rushing as an insult in anyway. That makes more than one of us to tell you that now. In fact, it was a helpful post. As Island told you, you can safely bottle, fermentation is likely done, but the yeast are active beyond active fermentation - for example, they can re-process diacytel (artificial butter flavor)produced during fermentation. As Papa Charlie would say 'RDWHAHB' - relax, don't worry, have a homebrew.

Last edited:
@rossscottnz I don't read the post about rushing as an insult in anyway. That makes more than one of us to tell you that now. In fact, it was a helpful post. As Island told you, you can safely bottle, fermentation is likely done, but the yeast are active beyond active fermentation - for example, they can re-process diacytel (artificial butter flavor)produced during fermentation. As Papa Charlie would say 'RDWHAHB' - relax, don't worry, have a homebrew.
I am not going to bottle it straight away my intention is to leave it for another week or two to let it settle before I bottle it as I do not really need that fermenter in a hurry as I have a spare one available to rack my wine into tomorrow night, however I did put some of that beer into a 330ml swing top beer bottle primed with 1/2 a teaspoon of soft brown sugar to try in a few weeks the rest is staying put for the next week or two. only thing I have done this weekend is washed out all of my beer bottles with some cold water detergent to make sure they are spotless for when I do bottle the beer so all I have to do is sanitize them with some no rinse sanitizer (sodium metabisulfate is what I use). Hell I am still deciding on whether or not to use the packet of beer finings i have got sitting in the cupboard 2 days prior to bottling

Back