FG reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afio18

Reaction score
Is it unusual to have your FG reading spot on after a week in the Primary? I'm goign to take another reading tonight then rack to secondary to Dry Hop.

I'd say that a week is about right. I've had some beers ferment out in 24 hours, and some take a full week. But almost always, the beer has been at FG in a week.

i would give it another 1-2 weeks in the primary. then another 1-2 weeks in the secondary with the dry hops.

I have always racked to a secondary, after about 2-3 weeks in the primary, just for my own piece of mind. Fermentation is done in the primary, but I feel that letting it sit in the secondary for a week or two allows for any remaining yeast to fall out of solution, leaving you with a cleaner brewhaha.

I was thinking of moving it to the Secondary and letting it sit for 3 weeks with the hops. That way I can brew another batch this weekend. I only have one primary and 2 secondary's. I guess I might need to get another primary.

I was thinking of moving it to the Secondary and letting it sit for 3 weeks with the hops. That way I can brew another batch this weekend. I only have one primary and 2 secondary's. I guess I might need to get another primary.

I don't like dryhopping more than a week or 10 days. If you want to move the beer, that's fine, but add the hops about a week before bottling.

Leaving the beer on dryhops for three weeks wouldn't give you the best hops flavor and aroma.

Back