FG Reading after kegged?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey peeps. Looking to keg my NEIPA tonight or tomorrow morning. I'm doing a closed transfer from carboy to keg and wondering if i can hold off on the FG reading until the beer is kegged? I was originally thinking I'd wait until it's carbed but I could actually put it in the keg, turn the regulator up to serving pressure only, grab a sample, then proceed to burst carb. Is that acceptable? (I'm confident fermentation is done, just looking to fill out the rest of my brew journal and make my final calculations on ABV).

Thanks.

Hey peeps. Looking to keg my NEIPA tonight or tomorrow morning. I'm doing a closed transfer from carboy to keg and wondering if i can hold off on the FG reading until the beer is kegged? I was originally thinking I'd wait until it's carbed but I could actually put it in the keg, turn the regulator up to serving pressure only, grab a sample, then proceed to burst carb. Is that acceptable? (I'm confident fermentation is done, just looking to fill out the rest of my brew journal and make my final calculations on ABV).

Thanks.

Sure. Just remember to stir it a bit to knock out any c02 that may be hanging around from the closed transfer. If it's carbed up, make sure it's flat without bubbles before taking the reading. You can spin the hydrometer a bit too to make sure any bubbles under it are knocked out.

If there's much CO2 in it, I would get serious about de-gassing it. I pour the sample from one glass to another 20 times. I get lots of foam, and dip it out with a spoon. Then dip out remaining foam after pouring it into the test cylinder.

For some reason, I don't have any luck spinning the hydrometer. If there are any bubbles stuck to it, I wiggle the stem side to side a few times, and that works well.

Unless you heated the beer before kegging it could be holding around
.7 volumes of CO2, more than enough for bubbles to form and cling to a hydro...

Cheers!

I will usually let the sample sit around in the test jar for a few hours before taking a reading. It’s room temp (basement is in the 60’s) and pretty still by then.

Back