FG question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodgreener

Reaction score
So I made a porter and didn't use all the bittering hops, I thought the recipe had too high of an IBU for a porter. It looks like it is finished today and I checked the gravity. The recipe says the SG will be 1.068 and mine was 1.075. I checked the gravity and today it is 1.023 the FG is supposed to be 1.020. Will I have a higher FG because of my higher SG? I transferred it to a secondary just now, should I check to see if the gravity falls any more or what? It tastes a little sweet too. What do you guys think, 1 more week? It tastes like it could use some oak flavor...

Your FG will change, but not by 3 gravity points, I wouldn't think, maybe 1. Also, did you temperature correct it? Gravities stated are at 60 F (~16 C). Here is a chart of temperature correction values.

Yep, I did the correction. I transferred it last night and in a few hours it was bubblin again. I think it needs another week...

Yep, its patience, you can never wait too long. There is a poster here who has had a beer in primary for about 1 year.

I too would wait it out. After a week or two, then you can assume it is done (as long as you have consistent hydro readings).

Back