FG Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJStank

Reaction score
I brewed my second batch last weekend, an American IPA from an extract kit from my LHBS. The OG was right on at 1.066. I used the Wyeast 1056 liquid yeast. About 2 days into fermentation I got concerned that the temp was too hot (strip on bucket read 75) so I moved the bucket carefully to a cooler location. Anyways, did a hydrometer reading today and it was right around 1.01-1.015. My instructions indicated the final ABV would be around 6% but what I'm reading now will be a bit higher. Did my high initial fermentation temps screw things up? I tasted the sample and it was pretty good, very hoppy. Is the extra alcohol a sign of an error on my part?

No, the yeast ate what was available and it is what it is. You don't have much control of the things that would cause more fermentables while brewing with extracts.

I think you are good; I wouldn't be concerned with 75 F degrees. 80 F degrees would be troublesome.

It looks like you are right on target with your gravity. I wouldn't worry about the higher temps. Sometimes you can get an off flavor but recently I had a Black IIPA get to hot 80+ degrees and it turned out fantastic.

I'm sure you made great beer!

Thanks! I wasn't too concerned but I wanted to double check. I guess I can't complain about a higher ABV than I was expecting! This style of IPA is my favorite so I don't want to screw it up.

You'll know if you've screwed it up if it tastes off. The ABV is just an indicator to me of how many I can have on a school night (not literally, just figuratively).

Back