FG question -> Muntons Irish Stout

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Nierika

Reaction score
Last night I racked my batch of Munton's Irish stout to a secondary (It was in the primary for 8 days) The instructions said the final gravity should remain constant below 1.008. My reading was 1.022 at 73°. Is this something to be concerned about? I broke my hydrometer druing brewing, so no OG reading :mad: I pretty much followed the recipe but with the addition of 1/4 coffee grounds when the wort was cooling. I rehydrated the yeast before I pitched it, and by the following morning the airlock was chugging along @ 1bubble/second. It did seem to slow down a bit by the following day. It it possible that the fermentation is stuck??

Orfy

For the love of beer!
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Yes it is possible.

1008 is to low for a stout IMO but 1022 is way too high. Is this the first reading ou took? If so give it 3 days more and try again.

sirsloop

Reaction score
Muntons extract is fairly fermentable.. I wouldn't be surprised if it finishes dry. Really your FG will depend on what your OG was and the attenuation rate of the yeast. I mean if your OG was 1.040 then 1.008 is totally normal. Likewise, if the OG was 1.090 then 1.022 would be totally normal.

What was the recipe? If it was a small beer and you used something like Nottinghams... I could see it chewing through 30 points of sugars in ~2 days.