FG lower than expected

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urg8rb8

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA and mashed at ~152F. OG was 1.075 and the expected FG was 1.016 (according to BeerSmith). However, I am getting a FG of 1.013 and its been fermenting for only 5 days. I'm worried that it will continue fermenting and then thin out too much. The bubbling from the airlock completely stopped so it is probably (hopefully) done fermenting.

Assuming it is done fermenting. Would 1.013 be close enough to 1.016 to be considered "successful"? Or would that be considered a "miss"?

My grains:

14# Pale 2-row
11oz C60

Did you ever calibrate your hydrometer? Mine reads distilled at 0.996 so I have to add .004 to all my readings... even still .003 isn't anything to worry about.

I brewed an IPA and mashed at ~152F. OG was 1.075 and the expected FG was 1.016 (according to BeerSmith). However, I am getting a FG of 1.013 and its been fermenting for only 5 days. I'm worried that will continue fermenting and then thin out too much. The bubbling from the airlock and completely stopped so it is probably done fermenting.

Assuming it is done fermenting. Would 1.013 be close enough to 1.016 to be considered "successful"? Or would that be considered a "miss"?

My grains:

14# Pale 2-row
11oz C60

In my opinion, IPA's should finish fairly dry. 1.013 is good, 1.010 is even better.
depends on overall grain bill and original gravity of course. But 1.016 is a bit too high in my book for an IPA. Too malty and even a bit sweet - and distracts from the hops.

Beersmith could be quite a bit off in estimating finishing gravity - it depends on many parameters, like your mash temperature, yeast, etc.

Did you ever calibrate your hydrometer? Mine reads distilled at 0.996 so I have to add .004 to all my readings... even still .003 isn't anything to worry about.

I need to retest with proper water temp (60F).

In my opinion, IPA's should finish fairly dry. 1.013 is good, 1.010 is even better.
depends on overall grain bill and original gravity of course. But 1.016 is a bit too high in my book for an IPA. Too malty and even a bit sweet - and distracts from the hops.

Beersmith could be quite a bit off in estimating finishing gravity - it depends on many parameters, like your mash temperature, yeast, etc.

^^^^^^ This!

The FG number in ALL calculators is just an estimate. It is wrong more often than not. It doesn't account for fermentability of most ingredients, doesn't account for mash temp, and just works off a % number for the yeast in an 'average' wort.

............ I think 1.010 is on the high side for finishing an IPA - I prefer them dry.

^^^^^^ This!

The FG number in ALL calculators is just an estimate. It is wrong more often than not. It doesn't account for fermentability of most ingredients, doesn't account for mash temp, and just works off a % number for the yeast in an 'average' wort.

............ I think 1.010 is on the high side for finishing an IPA - I prefer them dry.

agreed! Ideally I want to get my IPAs below 1.010 - I usually end up with 1.006 or so. This gives a nice crispy, dry finish that highlights the happiness of the beer. In my one attempt (so far) at Pliny the Younger, which is a "triple" IPA in 12% ABV range, it finished at 1.016 no matter how much I tried, and it was too sweet and "malty" for my taste. We still drank it just fine and people loved it but next time I will make an effort to finish it below 1.010

I was trying to clone a SN Torpedo. On SN's website, they say their FG is like 1.017 or something around there.

I was trying to clone a SN Torpedo. On SN's website, they say their FG is like 1.017 or something around there.

You are right, 3.7 plato which is about 1.016. However, I personally do not like Torpedo. :) so it's self consistent.

I just took another gravity reading and it's at 1.009! I hope this beer isn't infected! :s. Did I accidentally mash too low??? I think 1.009 is way off from 1.016 right? BeerSmith is saying that i'm currently sitting at an 87.2% attenuation. Seems really high... but is this normal for US05?

Also, the beer doesn't taste bitter. Here was my hop schedule:

1.2oz Magnum @60mins
1.0oz Crystal @5mins
1.0oz Magnum @5mins

Man, who doesn't like Torpedo (besides you)?!??!?! :D

I live in San Diego, the land of IPAs - we have way better IPAs than Sierra Nevada Torpedo. Like Sculpin. or anything by Stone, Alpine, AleSmith, GreenFlash, Karl Strauss, etc.

I live in San Diego, the land of IPAs - we have way better IPAs than Sierra Nevada Torpedo. Like Sculpin. or anything by Stone, Alpine, AleSmith, GreenFlash, Karl Strauss, etc.

Sculpin is my favorite IPA!

Anyway, I did not expect US05 to dry the beer out that much. Do people mash higher than usual when using that yeast?

Holy cow is this beer good!!!!!! Awesome hope aroma and awesome flavor!!! Came out much better than I expected even though it finished much drier than I wanted it to!!

Back