FG is higher than my OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodbury419

Reaction score
Here's my problem, I brewed a variant of Cheese's VCCA several weeks ago and I'll post the recipe/specs if needed. I achieved a 1.053 OG and used wyeast 1056 (6th generation) on a stirplate (1 liter). A krausen came and went and a nice yeast cake as normal appeared on the bottom of the primary. today I decided to keg it, and I boiled 4oz of lactose in 6oz of water and added the vanilla extract I made myself (3oz each of rum/vodka with 3 vanilla beans). I added it all together and took my FG sample through the cobra tap like i normally do as soon as I kegged it. and the FG is 1.062. That's nearly 10pts higher than my OG...it definitely tastes sweet and never had this happen before. =( any idea on why this happened? (i know i didn't underpitch because I use the same yeast routine for all of my beers and they attenuate well. But it doesn't make any sense to me why the FG is higher than the OG even after I only added 4oz of lactose. I also used a different hydrometer to make sure it was correct. idk...worst part is I cant do anything to it because I deploy here within a week and this keg was for a buddy of mine this week... =(

The lactose solution your added probably didn't mix well with the beer and sank to the bottom of the keg. When you pulled your sample, you probably got a lot of this solution, skewing your gravity reading.

I agree with wonderbread23. Your additions probably didn't mix in well and the sample taken was mostly the new stuff.

That or one or both of your readings were mistaken.

Why did you measure after you added the lactose? I'm a total noob, but don't you want to measure the final gravity as it is in the fermenter to make sure it's ready for kegging/bottling, THEN add whatever you want to it? (I always siphon it to a bottling bucket first when adding something to it)

:)

wonderbread23, you were right. although I didn't read your reply just til' now. I figured it out after i made the post when i went through my notes. lol, under normal circumstances i would of known better...this deployment coming up has been keeping me from my game on the brewing side. @helgibelgi, I assume certain attenuation criteria of my yeast. that's why, i have a routine/method that works for me so I stick with it. the FG is now 1.014, I re-added 2oz of lactose and it's at 1.015. fun times...lol

Back