FG higher than expected - not sure what to do

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C2H6O

Primary
Reaction score
I brewed an imperial stout on 5/1 and it has been in the primary for 3wks. now. I checked the FG to see if it was ready to bottle and I was surprised to see that the FG was 1.044 - 1.046. The SG was 1.094 which was just about right on for this batch. i used SafBrew S-33 yeast for this batch. Question - should I pitch additional yeast since the estimated FG is 1.024?? or should I bottle it with this FG. Thanks in advance!!

What temp did you ferment at? You may need to warm it up a bit 70+- degrees and agitate it a little to get some of the yeast back into suspention.

Bull

I tried to maintain 68ºF but the temp may have fluctuated +/- 3ºF - If anything it went on the higher side since SWMBO tends to put the heat up when I am not around. If I agitate the ferm. a bit, should I let it sit for an additional week and take another reading?? Thanks

If I agitate the ferm. a bit, should I let it sit for an additional week and take another reading?? Thanks

Give it 3 days to see if it is changing at all.

Thanks all for the input - All that being said, if i do not experience a drop in the gravity do i pitch additional yeast or go to bottling. The recipe was similar to Bubbachunks post:

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Safbrew S-33
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.096
Final Gravity: 1.024
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: Black
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21 days

9# LME
2# Crystal 120
2# English Chocolate
1.5# American Black Patent
1.5oz Kent gold @ 60 min
1.5oz Kent gold @ 30 min
16 oz coco @ 15 min

Check you hydrometer in water. It might not be reading right. Do not bottle at, 1.04 you will either have flat syrup from the yeast having stalled or you will have bottle bombs.

Check your hydro in water, then check the beer in a day or two if the hydro is reading right. If it is still the same get another packet of yeast.

Hydro is working ok...1.000 in tap water. I didnt see any action on the bubbler the past 2 days after agitating. I will check the SG tonight or tomorrow.

Back