FG High?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grasshopper1917

Reaction score
Well I didnt take a OG reading but my recipe was.

3.75# Can of Coopers Wheat ALe prehopped extract
4.75 # (approx) Liquid Malt Extract
1 pack of copppers kit yeast

It spent 6 days in primary and thne racked to secondary for 2 weeks. The final reading on gravity was 1019 - I didnt take a starting reading but Im guessng with that ammount of extract it should have been about 1050? Am i close?

In any case ending at 1019 is going to gve me a very weak beer - it is also very sweet. I know american wheat ales are sipsed to have some sweetness but thisa bit much.

Does my FG sound very far off what it should be - and what is the likley cause. Maybe less then ideal yeast? Or should I have added a bit of dextrose with the LME?

Cheers

Assuming 5 gallons, your OG should have been around 1.060-1.062. So at 1.019 FG, you're at ~70% attenuation, which is a little low but believable (extracts might have a lot of unfermentables).

Did you take a gravity reading when you went from primary to secondary?

Ok it was 5 gallons - wow maybe i used more extract then I should have. I didnt think the OG would be so high with that ammount of extract.

I took the reading before botttling. Usually I do it before I rack to secondary - but fermentation seemed done - had a nice big krausen and then it fell - guess it is possible i racked a little too early.

Back