FG for Bohemian Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerseyBrewer

Reaction score
I've had a Bohemian Pilsner in the fermenter for about 12 days and I've only been able to get it down to a FG of 1.020 (OG: 1.065). It's close to the BCJP standard for the style (1.013 - 1.017) but not quite there. It's slightly sweet (to be expected) and has a real nice taste profile so I'm tending to not worry about it, but I'd like the communities opinion.

Here are the details on my fermenting schedule (Note: I have a 7 gal stainless conical in a dedicated upright freezer with a temp controller and I'm able to get within 1F of the target temps):

On brew day, I chilled it down to ~70F (it was extremely hot that day) and let it cool down to 44F in the frig (~12 hrs); I then pitched 22grams of rehydrated S-23 European Lager yeast. The yeast was reyhdrated in 75F previously boiled water and then chilled to the same temp of the wort (44F) before pitching.

Over the next 24 hours I raised the temp to 50F and in another 12 hrs or so I started to see activity in the air lock. It then fermented for another 10 days or so. I tested it several times and it steadily fell to 1.020. Yesterday I raised the temp (took another 12 hours to raise) to 60F. When I tested it this morning I expected it to dip below 1.020, but it hasn't...

My gut tells me to just be patient and give it the weekend at 60F to see if it drops anymore, but since I tend to be obsessive/compulsive about my brewing I'm concerned.

Would you make any changes to my schedule? I was only intending on conducting the diacetyl rest for a day or so but it looks like its going to be more like 2 or 3 days.

+1 to waiting and a slightly higher temp. Would be good for a diacetyl rest anyway.

It might be the dreaded lager stuck at 1.020. If I was you I would go out, pick up some more of that yeast, pitch it onto a gallon (maybe even 2 gallon) starter. Let the starter ferment out and pitch that yeast onto it. A lot of people have terrible problems with lagers finishing high. You have to pitch a ton of yeast onto them.

Was this an malt extract or all grain brew?

All grain.

It might be the dreaded lager stuck at 1.020. If I was you I would go out, pick up some more of that yeast, pitch it onto a gallon (maybe even 2 gallon) starter. Let the starter ferment out and pitch that yeast onto it. A lot of people have terrible problems with lagers finishing high. You have to pitch a ton of yeast onto them.

I sized the yeast based on the estimated OG (1.058) but the actual OG was 1.068 (I haven't dialed in my brewhouse efficiency number yet), so perhaps this threw it off a bit. I'll give it the weekend and see what I get...

Thanks for the input!

Just got back from Cape May, NJ and tested the gravity - down to 1.016! looks like it just needed a bit more time at 60F. Crashing it down to 34 now. Should be ready for the keg in a day or so... Then on to lagering for 4-6 weeks.

Hardest part of brewing: Patience!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

i get really good results swirling the carboy too, overnight differences in both gravity and flavor when my lagers seem like they fall into stasis.

good luck on that patience part!

Back