Fg and coffee filter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wus67

Reaction score
I went to take a reading of my pumpkin ale in my primary tonignt, and accidentally hit the yeast cake with my theif, throwing up tons of trub. I know you won't get an accurate reading with a bunch of sediment in the cylinder, so I took a coffee filter, rubber banded it across a pint glass and dumped my sample in to filter out the sediment. Just wondering if anybody has done this, and is it going to screw up my reading? I looked for a thread on this, but couldn't find anything. I can't imagine this would have an effect, but I figured some of you more experienced guys might know. Any input would be much appreciated.

Unless your hydrometer was touching the trub, it should still give you a reading, ive sucked up some when i chill 3/4 cup that i pull out of a boil to a quick ice bath and the cold break seperates and ive gotten an inch of trub in the tube it just settles,as long as its not half full or something and sticking in it as long as it floats i think your good for a reading. I think it was my pumpkin that that happend with and it may have been more than an inch at the bottem,still got a good reading though.
I chill mine in a 3/4 cup then use a small baster to transfer that to the sample tube usually just sucking it up from the surface avoiding the trub in the bottem of the cup.

Took a reading, not sitting on trub, not stuck to the side, steady at 1.01. Time to rack, thanks for the reassurance gents. I know we noobs can be a little dumb, but every little bit of advice helps. Thanks again.

Back