FG 1.001. How much priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OdinsBrew

Reaction score
I've got a saison, using Wyeast French Saison yeast. The FG is 1.001. Should I adjust anything at bottling? More or less priming sugar, or additional malt?

Any fermentables you add at bottling will be...well fermented. If you are talking about replacing priming sugar with these than thats fine, but it will not really do much other than affect carbonation. If you add extra DME or priming sugar it will over carbonate and potentiall cause bottle bombs.

I would just procede as usually and enjoy a nice, dry, farmhouse ale!

Excellent answer! Thanks. I'll proceed as usual with 4oz priming sugar.

And I can't wait to enjoy some farmhouse ale... well actually, I'm already tweaking the recipe even before tasting this first attempt, and can't wait to enjoy the second batch too.

Skol!

I am moving into a house at school in august without AC so my bedroom will be in the 80's for a month or two. Of course a Saison is first on my brewing que so if you end up with a recipe you really enjoy, please post it up!

I'll try to do post notes after I taste my first batch, and brew my second.

Good luck with the move.

My mother-in-law has a farm in Iowa. I probably won't bother because of the gear needed, but often think of brewing one there in August, and pitching in sour yeasts and let it sit for a year. With my luck, the stopper would pop and she'd call to say the dog's drunk. I wonder what would happen with the cold winter temps.

I'm planning my second batch already and what I've learned so far is this. The key, the 1.001 is from the Wyeast French Saison. It has good reviews on finishing that low consistently.

I'm aiming for a crisp, light, fruity saison. My next recipe is:

6lbs belgian pils
8oz light belgian candi sugar.
(I may add some wheat)

Bittering hops are calculated to 15 ibus. My first batch at 24ibus is too bitter at bottling.

60min .4oz Centennial 10AA (my first batch I used warrior for bittering)
10min .6oz Centennial
1min 1 oz Centennial

whirlfloc tab at 15 min

Wyeast French Saison 3711

Estimated
OG 1.032
FG 1.001
4.1% abv
25 IBUs
3 srm
104 calories (yeah, I'm counting)

Even the same strain I wanted to use :) Thank you for the recipe!

Completely off topic but one thing you could do is make a mason jar starter, cover it with a cheese cloth and ruberband, then let it sit at the MIL's farm for a few days. You might capture some of the true farmhouse microoganisms, then bring them home and ferment a test batch with them!

Back