Few questions....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EamusCatuli

Reaction score
Okay so i just have a couple questions that I need cleared up.

Why is it that some recipes/ brewers dont boil their DME/LME full boil ( for example 2 lbs. DME @ 15 minutes from end of boil).....why?????

How long is the "norm" for steeping grains, I have always done it 20 minutes at 170 F or so, is that bad/good/doesnt matter?

Am I a bad person for not using a yeast starter? :(

EamusCatuli said:
Why is it that some recipes/ brewers dont boil their DME/LME full boil ( for example 2 lbs. DME @ 15 minutes from end of boil).....why?????
Better hop utilization, and less darkening of the beer during the boil.

How long is the "norm" for steeping grains, I have always done it 20 minutes at 170 F or so, is that bad/good/doesnt matter?
Palmer says 30 min at 150-170. Sounds like you're OK.

Am I a bad person for not using a yeast starter? :(
Assuming you're using liquid yeast (no starter needed for dry), no starter doesn't make you a bad person. You're just taking some risks on slow/incomplete feremntations, and resulting off-flavors

Was just reading yesterday a post regarding the extract at the last 15 min or so. His position was that if you boil for the full 60 min with LME it tends to darken the beer, reduction, and some caramelization takes place I suppose. Makes sense.

Back