few questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevecaaster

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have just brewed my third batch yesterday and I used gin in my airlock, as I have seen vodka recommended instead of using water.

My first question is was it OK to use gin instead of vodka? was there anything I missed reguarding alcohol choice?

My second question is : i seemed to have encountered some negative pressure in my fermenter because there is about half the amount of gin in the airlock than i put in it yesterday. Is it bad that some gin got sucked into my wort?

One more question... The instructions that came with my kit and the three recipe kits i have used so far warn against the temperature of the wort/room dropping below 68. they say fermentation will stop. The room temp has been bouncing around at about 63 - 69 degrees farenheit their entire existance. I know ales are ok between 58 to 78 or so, but could it be true that these specific ales can not be below 68, or are the directions a bit exagerated?

Thank you very much for your help, have a nice day :)

1. The only real difference between vodka and gin is the herbal flavors steeped into gin. I doubt that the amount of juniper in gin will cause any flavors in your beer with a suck back, though.

2. See #1

3. It would depend on the yeast being used, but I seriously doubt you've got one that can't be below 68, which would be well over 70 while fermenting. What yeast is it?

stevecaaster said:
Hello everyone, I have just brewed my third batch yesterday and I used gin in my airlock, as I have seen vodka recommended instead of using water.

My first question is was it OK to use gin instead of vodka? was there anything I missed reguarding alcohol choice?

My second question is : i seemed to have encountered some negative pressure in my fermenter because there is about half the amount of gin in the airlock than i put in it yesterday. Is it bad that some gin got sucked into my wort?

One more question... The instructions that came with my kit and the three recipe kits i have used so far warn against the temperature of the wort/room dropping below 68. they say fermentation will stop. The room temp has been bouncing around at about 63 - 69 degrees farenheit their entire existance. I know ales are ok between 58 to 78 or so, but could it be true that these specific ales can not be below 68, or are the directions a bit exagerated?

Thank you very much for your help, have a nice day :)
1. There is nothing wrong with using gin. If you use enough of it it would add some flavour to the beer, but the tiny amount in the airlock won't do a thing.

2. That is the reason a lot of guys use vodka or gin instead of water, the suck back. The alcohol won't get any nasties in it so you don't need to worry about infection.

3. The beer won't suddenly stop fermenting if you drop below 68F, the temperature of the wort is what is important, not the air temperature. With the room temps you mentioned your wort should be just about perfect. :)

1. You can use gin instead of vodka. I use plain water or starsan solution. People usually use cheap vodka because it's sanitary and if it does get sucked into the beer there won't be any problems. Isn't gin a little pricier than vodka?
2. There shouldn't be any problem because the gin was sucked in. You might want to fill the airlock a little lower than recommended to avoid any suction.
3. Your beer will be fine. RDWHAHB! I ferment my ales around 62-65F, because I like them clean. Depending on the strain a little bit of a lower temp will be ok. Now if the room is below 58F then you might encounter a stuck fermentation.

totally great thanks a lot guys, gin was used because its yucky and i dont want to use my kettle 1 hehe, thanks again! have a good one!

stevecaaster said:
totally great thanks a lot guys, gin was used because its yucky and i dont want to use my kettle 1 hehe, thanks again! have a good one!

i hope it was rail gin:eek:

Back