Few questions about storing beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have several corny kegs but can only get 1 into my fridge. The question is can I store a fully carbonated keg at room temp?

I would like to have a few full ones ready to chill when the one in the fridge goes empty.

Will it hurt a beer to go from the fridge to room temp and back again?

Thanks for any help provided.

Mostly it's ok to keep a carbed keg at room temp....as long as your room temp isn't in the 80's. In fact, most beer would prefer 60 or less, but just like in bottles, it's ok. As for Chill, Warm, Chill....Most people say it doesn't hurt the beer...but I wouldn't make it a habit.

It's ok to store the beer at room temp for a few months, but the closer to serving temp the better. If you've got a basement or crawlspace I'd do that.

temp fluctuations are ok, but I'd avoid them if at all possible.

The beer is in the basement. Average temp is around 70, 60 in winter. 1 Last question ( until I think of another) Does a Co2 lose pressure when it gets colder? Looks like mine has dropped quite a bit while in the fridge. Checked and didn't find any leaks.

I don't keg... yet... but I haven't ever had problems storing bottles at room temp for months at a time. Nor have I had a problem with them changing temperatures. I don't thing being in a keg will make a difference.

Are you sure about the leaks? You might want to try putting some soapy water in a spray bottle and spraying all you fittings to see if there are any bubbles that would suggest a slow leak.
A 5lb tank should last through several kegs.

The beer is in the basement. Average temp is around 70, 60 in winter. 1 Last question ( until I think of another) Does a Co2 lose pressure when it gets colder? Looks like mine has dropped quite a bit while in the fridge. Checked and didn't find any leaks.

Yes and no.
Actually what has happened it your beer has absorbed some of the gas into solution...thus dropping the pressure in the keg....if you had it hooked up to live pressure, the regulator would have forced more C02 into the keg to keep the pressure up. Once the beer has absorbed all the gas it can for the temp, it will stop dropping.

Back