few kegging questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derek8307

Reaction score
So I setup a keezer. And I like to tackle things as much as I can on my own, so I've kegged 2 batches so far. But I do have some quick questions you experts will know for sure.

I opted to go with the low and slow method to carb. 12 psi at 35f.

How long before I have a carbed beer? Checked after 3 days and hardly any carbonation.

First keg I forgot to purge but remembered in the middle ofthe night and went and purged it 6 hours later. It was an american wheat, so not hoppy. How much oxidizing may have occurred in 6 hours under pressure?

When I install my beer line after turning on co2 to keg, should I open tap to bring beer to faucet or let it stay where it is? Or should i wait until its fully carbed before installing beer line?

Thanks

The set it and forget it method can take a week or two to fully carb up. I usually do a hybrid thing where I do a few min of shaking and rolling the keg, then I set it to 20-30 psi for 2-3 days, then drop it to serving pressure. Gets me where I want pretty quickly, and so far I haven't had any issues with over carbonation.

Don't worry about the purging thing...only you will know, and no one else will notice.

I usually carb up at least part way before I attach the liquid line...basically, when I want to start sampling it...

So I setup a keezer. And I like to tackle things as much as I can on my own, so I've kegged 2 batches so far. But I do have some quick questions you experts will know for sure.

I opted to go with the low and slow method to carb. 12 psi at 35f.

How long before I have a carbed beer? Checked after 3 days and hardly any carbonation.

First keg I forgot to purge but remembered in the middle ofthe night and went and purged it 6 hours later. It was an american wheat, so not hoppy. How much oxidizing may have occurred in 6 hours under pressure?

When I install my beer line after turning on co2 to keg, should I open tap to bring beer to faucet or let it stay where it is? Or should i wait until its fully carbed before installing beer line?

Thanks

Rule of thumb for slow and low carbing is about 2 weeks. If you want to drink it sooner than 2 weeks after kegging, look into the burst carb method (higher pressure for a shorter time).

At that pressure, probably not much. Might have a slight oxidation, but I really doubt it would ruin your beer.

I typically wait until the beer is carbonated before hooking up the beer line. I don't know for certain, but my intuition says that the beer in the line will not get carbonated in the same time frame as the rest of the keg. The liquid isn't moving at all, and you have such a small surface area (cross section of dip tube) compared to the length of your line (several feet). But whenever you hook up the beer line, definitely open the tap to remove air from the line.

Back