Few Fermenting Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey,

I ordered a better bottle online but they don't have stoppers so they are waiting to send it for about a week. I have an amber ale sitting in the primary. I know the saying is 1-2-3 but would it matter if i did 2-1-3? or even 2-2-2? Does the station the beer is in matter or is it just the 6 weeks that does. i know certain places need a minimal amount of time like the primary and bottles, but does the amount of time in the secondary matter?

Also the instructions on my Midwest Red ale has me having the beer in the primary for 2 weeks and bottles for 2, you guys think it will be ready by then or will it still taste off

Never less than 2 weeks in the bottle...then after you open that one, give the rest another week to carb properly. (21 days in bottle)
As far as the 1-2-3 thing...mine usually looks a lot more like 2-0-3 or 3-0-3.
I don't secondary unless I'm using gelatin or someting...and then it's for like 2 or 3 days.

Orange carboy caps fit better bottles perfectly, and cost a fraction of what their cap and airlock sells for.

You can certainly leave your amber ale in primary for two weeks, it can't hurt and will probably help. Many of us skip secondaries altogether, leaving our beer in the primary for 3-6 weeks before bottling or kegging.

When deciding when to bottle, don't get hung up on any particular length of time...trust your hydrometer to tell you when fermentation is complete. When in doubt, wait longer! Brewing is a great hobby for lazy people, because procrastination usually results in better beer. :D

I usually let my batches (unless its a lambic or a high-gravity beer) sit in primary for 2 weeks then secondary for 2 more, then age in the bottles for 1 month before sampling. If it is a big beer/lambic, it sits for much longer in secondary after 2 weeks in the primary. I think the secondary is for clearing of the beer, seeing as I don't use anything but Irish moss.

You could do 3 or 4, but always do 3 in bottles at least.
Taste / carb testing is OK, but limit it and do not freak out if its a little or a lot off. Give 5 weeks and you will be happy.

Back