Fermzilla Loss of Pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simplepleasuresbrwery

simplepleasuresbrewery
Reaction score
I was hoping you could help. Not sure if my Fermzilla has a leak.

Previously I brewed a NEIPA under 10psi pressure which held through much of my primary and dropped a little in my secondary.

After cold crashing this dropped to 0psi.

At present I am making a pastry stout with cherries. I have racked my cold crashed beer onto the cherries in my secondary and pressured using gas. I pressurised this to 10psi and took the gas off and kept at cold crash temps.

After 24hrs the pressure had dropped to 0psi is this because the CO2 is being absorbed by the beer or have I a leak. Any help much appreciated. Regards Mark

After 24hrs the pressure had dropped to 0psi is this because the CO2 is being absorbed by the beer or have I a leak.

The CO2 wouldn't all be absorbed, but with one burst of CO2 at 10 PSI, I would expect most gauges to show "0" even before 24 hours have passed.

Thank you VikeMan so leave on gas for 30 mins or so? Or longer?

Since the beer was already crashed (and still cold) when you pressurized it, and you're keeping it cold (at the same temp, presumably), there shouldn't be any issue with having not much headspace pressure, assuming you have no leaks. But it wouldn't hurt to add a little for insurance, in case of temp fluctuation, etc.

But, are you not planning to ferment the sugars in the cherries? If not, I assume you'll be kegging and never giving away any bottle/growler fills?

Since the beer was already crashed (and still cold) when you pressurized it, and you're keeping it cold (at the same temp, presumably), there shouldn't be any issue with having not much headspace pressure, assuming you have no leaks. But it wouldn't hurt to add a little for insurance, in case of temp fluctuation, etc.

But, are you not planning to ferment the sugars in the cherries? If not, I assume you'll be kegging and never giving away any bottle/growler fills?
It has already really got to FG - if the yeast remaining ferments the sugars then not an issue. I have never added fruit before so did not really know whether I should let these sugars ferment out! Yes I am keeping it at the same temp absolutely. It seems that whenever I pressurize from the cylinder or even after fermentation when I drop the temp the headspace pressure drops. Was not sure whether to expect that after fermentation ...I suspect a leak

It seems that whenever I pressurize from the cylinder or even after fermentation when I drop the temp the headspace pressure drops.

That's normal and expected.

It has already really got to FG - if the yeast remaining ferments the sugars then not an issue. I have never added fruit before so did not really know whether I should let these sugars ferment out!

Unless you're trying to backsweeten, you should ferment the fruit's sugars out. But that's not going to happen, at least not well/fast, at cold temps.

And if you are backsweetening, don't bottle. And don't fill any bottles/growlers/crowlers from the keg, because fermentation can easily restart, resulting gushing/bombs.

That's normal and expected.

Awesome Vikeman been breiwng for 4 years but new to the pressure game!

Unless you're trying to backsweeten, you should ferment the fruit's sugars out. But that's not going to happen, at least not well/fast, at cold temps.

Understood I will raise the temperature. These are pastry stouts and I am going to add lactose at the end - albeit sparingly as a I am not a great fan of it!

And if you are backsweetening, don't bottle. And don't fill any bottles/growlers/crowlers from the keg, because fermentation can easily restart, resulting gushing/bombs.

The lactose will not ferment so I should be okay with that as a bit of backsweetening. Should not get bottle bombs if I use this as it is unfermentable. Appreciate all your help here.

Back