Fermzilla conical/dump valve questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPJ123

Reaction score
First time poster, looooooong time lurker here. (Thanks for the gold mine of info over the years!)

So I got sent a fermzilla conical on accident (was supposed to be the all-rounder.)
Is having a dump valve worth anything other than yeast harvesting? I probably won't be harvesting yeast, as I'm an over-build and split kinda guy. I already have a fermzilla all rounder and a keg fermenter, so I can already ferment under pressure and closed transfer. I don't know how much I would need to dump the trub, because I brew mostly hazies and other short-term beers.
Is there any other reason it's nice to have a conical?
Does anyone use the dump valve to purge hops with Co2 for dryhopping?
Should I just send this thing back?
Thanks in advance!

I have a fermzilla that I've used for a few brews and I wouldn't consider that bottom valve as a dump valve. To me, it's more like a "close the bottom so I can swap out the jar" valve. Some people are able to put their dry hops in that bottom jar after removing the accumulated trub and yeast, but I find that process both messy and nerve-wracking (worried about air, getting it sealed back up again, etc.) I've had pretty good luck getting most of the finished beer out of this fermenter using the pressure transfer kit. The conical bottom seems to help with that. I've never tried the all-rounder so I can't give say anything in comparison.

I’ve been using the conical Fermzilla for about 2 years now. I really like it. I use the bottom valve to dry hop and yes I purge the o2 with CO2. Just be sure you have something under it to catch what comes out when you open it. It will be under pressure even if you relieve it from the top valve. SLOWLY unscrew one of the side valves. DO NOT UNSCREW IT ALL THE WAY!! You will have a mess. Wait until you do not hear any gas releasing at all, then unscrew it. You can harvest the yeast if you want. I just dump everything. I throw the hops in, attach a gas inlet post screw it back on, purge the air, then make sure everything is sealed again, finally open the valve. I like the bottom portion because all of the sediment settles there. I transfer directly in to a keg and have had great results. Just my opinion.

Latest posts

Back