Fermzilla All-Rounder Lid Leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbg

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm new to this All-Rounder but not fermenters with glan seals. I'm pressure testing the system. I'm having trouble with the lid to vessel seal. I lubed the o-ring and inside collar of the fermenter with a film of lube - like I use on all o-rings. First two tries and had leak. Third time I added little more lube than I usually do and also rotated the lid a bit before attaching the collar. This seems to be holding but wondering what others do to assure this is leak free (because on a real brew day it's harder to check for leaks at this location).

Thanks

I have an All Rounder and never had a lid leak. I've probably fermented 6 batches or so with no issues. I also do not use lube. I hand tighten and no issues. You may want to check the gasket to make sure it's not ripped or not seated properly.

You should not have to use lube but if you do should only be a thin coating. Make sure the lid is all the way seated before tightening down. If you still have issues contact the place where you purchased- they should send you a new gasket. Hopefully that will solve your issue.

Thanks for the reply. My third try sealed all night. This morning I took the o-ring out and lubed it light all over, put it back together, and after an hour still no leak.

Second question - I looked up a few online videos and some lube the hell out of not only the o-ring but also the collar threads. I also saw a suggestion to teflon tape the tank threads not to seal but to ease disassembly. I have noticed on my trials that there is nothing to grab on this thing to react the torque from loosening the lid collar. Are there any easy ways to remove this lid collar?

FYI - when I put my first brew in the fermenter the lid leaked again!

Think this fixed it - the lid had pretty good ridge left on it from the casting process. I took a utility knife and removed it. Tried the lid on 4 times and no leak. Hopefully problem solved.

also make sure the handles are not too tight which can distort the round opening

Thanks - BTW my first fermentation under pressure was a Winter Warmer NB kit. Held pressure perfectly and the beer tasted great. Surprised my favorite part of using this pressure fermenter is that I can now push my beer into the keg while it is already in my keezer (every year the task of lifting a full corney up and over the keezer collar was getting tougher).

I'm using an All Rounder for the first time, and I'm having trouble getting the lid to stay tight. I used keg lube on the lid, pushed it down in place, then tightened the collar. The handle is under the collar, and I did not overtighten it.

It worked great for 2 days. I was able to push Star San out of a keg with the fermentation co2. Once Star San was completely empty, I put a spunding valve on the keg and it got to around 4psi. I checked a few hours later and it was 0psi. Turns out the lid popped up. I pushed it back down, but after a few minutes it pops up again.

Has this happened to anyone else recently? Everything I've read is that you should not overtighten the collar or handle. But if it's just hand tightened, it doesn't go down enough to keep the lid firmly in place. Any ideas?

I'm using an All Rounder for the first time, and I'm having trouble getting the lid to stay tight. I used keg lube on the lid, pushed it down in place, then tightened the collar. The handle is under the collar, and I did not overtighten it.

It worked great for 2 days. I was able to push Star San out of a keg with the fermentation co2. Once Star San was completely empty, I put a spunding valve on the keg and it got to around 4psi. I checked a few hours later and it was 0psi. Turns out the lid popped up. I pushed it back down, but after a few minutes it pops up again.

Has this happened to anyone else recently? Everything I've read is that you should not overtighten the collar or handle. But if it's just hand tightened, it doesn't go down enough to keep the lid firmly in place. Any ideas?

I usually just tighten the collar enough to touch the lid. I have two of these and do the same on both. Sounds like your collar isn't threading on far enough. Maybe look at the collar threads maybe there is left over flash from the molding process?

I had a great deal of trouble with this issue at first as well. I now use a gasket between the fermenter body and the lid, and another between the lid and the collar. Hard to get off, but it seals much better.

I feel like an idiot, but something in your response triggered something in the back of my brain and I think I found the issue. When I tightened the collar, it didn't touch the lid at all. It hit the handle and started spinning it around. I realized that I put the handle in the bottom groove, instead of under the grooves, so I wasn't able to turn the collar all the way down.

I just took off the handle and the collar tightened all the way down in place.

Latest posts

Back